Carb Help for an 86 CJ7 with a 258 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 10:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Carb Help for an 86 CJ7 with a 258

The previous owner replaced the original carb with an older one (still a Carter) without a stepper motor (thinking he was bypassing the computer). I have performed the "Nutter" bypass which really helped - imagine that. The CJ runs a lot better but rich. I'd like to lean out the mixture and hopefully get it to run even better. I have played around with the idle screws on the carb and the timing but I'm not sure I'm doing it correctly. I have cleaned out the venturi tubes in the carb. Would a new/rebult carb help? I'm looking for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 11:40 PM

Re: Carb Help for an 86 CJ7 with a 258

Well, the PO did *partially* bypass the computer. Because one of the things the computer does control is the stepper motor.
The purpose behind the stepper motor is to enrichen or lean out the mixture depending on the inputs from the various sensors.
Generally, on a stepper motor equipped Carter BBD, when you do the nutter bypass, it runs rich at idle because the stepper motor is placed into the full rich position.
However, if the Carter that it on there now is lacking a steppr motor as you say it is, that point is nil and void.

The two mixture screws on the front of the carb affect idle mixture only (to the best of my knowledge. You turn them in (clockwise) to make the mixture more lean, and out (counter clockwise) to enrichen the mixture.

Personally, my mixture screws ar about 5 3/4 turns out and is set exactly right (measured on a wide band O2 machine at a local shop).
There is another good way to set it though: Back them out a good amount, then slowly turn them in until the engine starts to run rough. Then turn them back out 1/4 to 1/2 turn and this is generally sufficient.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 06:49 AM

RagingSheep,
By far the best thing you could do would be to replace that tired Carter BBD with a new Redline Weber 32/36 carb. It will cure most if not all your problems and give you performance you will come to appreciate. I had brought a 32/36 from Fast Freddy's and used it two months. It is like brand new. (still in the original box) I will sell it complete for $200.00 including the K/N air filter. If interested e-mail me. Good luck
Fran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 06:37 PM

Ragingsheep,
Better yet I have a complete intake and exhaust setup that would work great on your motor.The header is all Stainless steel and the egr pipe is brand new. I have the 258 intake gasket. The reason I am selling this stuff is I switched to the 4.0L setup. If your interested e-mail me.
Fran

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 07:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know that many of the members on this BBS like their Webers BUT: Remember what it says on the outside of the box that the carb comes in- "No Warranty What-so-ever". From my experience, they mean it!

Kriss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode