por-15 for frame a good or a bad idea? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 08:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

por-15 for frame a good or a bad idea?

HI

I was wanting to paint my frame on my CJ5 and I saw the por-15 anti_rust on the quadratec catolog. It says just paint over. Would you recommend doing this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 08:49 PM

Re: por-15 for frame a good or a bad idea?

I used POR-15 on parts of my frame about 2-3 years ago then painted over it with black rustoleum and it is still holding up fine.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 10:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

would the fram still rot away inside the protective coating or does the por-15 lock out moisture and all rust causing junk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 11:09 PM

POR (paint out rust) is touted as a rust preventive coating.
It is excellent stuff if you prep the surfaces correctly. I used it on my frame without the proper preparation and now my frame looks like it is peeling from a bad sunburn. I used it under my hood with the proper prep and it still looks like it did when I first applied it.
Good stuff and proper prep is the key to success.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 11:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Por 15 is the berries. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I would reccomend using the silver for the frame and then going over it with chassis black. They sell both. I would also reccomend getting the metal prep as it is a rust neutrallizer. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] You can buy a kit on their website and probably save money ordering from them. I am currently getting set up as a dist. for them, but it is not finished yet. Use it you will never regret it. There ain't nuttin better out there for what you are doing! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Here is there web addy:
http://www.por15store.com/
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 07:01 AM

I've never used POR, but I just finished a frame restoration. I would be worried about the places where two pieces of steel were overlapped and welded. I doubt that any coating applied over the top will completely seal the joint and stop the rust.

Places in question are where the front and rear sections of the inner frame rails are joined near the rear wheel; where the rear crossmembers are laid over the top of the frame tubes and welded on one edge; where the parking brake and muffler bracket is laid over the top of the frame rail and welded on one edge.

There are several more, but you get the idea. Rust in those places takes place between the two lapped pieces of steel. Unless you can bar all air and moisture entry to the area, rust will continue. And doing that will be impossible in most cases. Especially the frame rails where you would have to get inside the frame tubes.

On the inside frame rails, I cut out the lapped places and butt-fit new steel into the opening. In the other places, the rust on the frame rail wasn't as bad, so I cut the overlap off and made a 'T' joint. The rear crossmember took a complete rebuild, so I made all of the joints butt.

After the repairs I had it galvanized. Nothing is forever, but I reckon the frame will outlast me.

If you can't do all of that, use the POR, and do the very best job of surface prep that you can, giving special attention to the overlap areas. It will at least be a lot better than stock.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 09:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Por15 is does not stop rust it prevents it. The stopping of the rust comes through the use of a product called metal prep which is a rust neutralizer.

I would think that you could spray the inside of the frame in a similar manner of that used in rust proofing, where they utilize a wand. If you can get por on it then the area will be sealed.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 03:01 PM
Way Outta Control

Me, I dislike the stuff, it's overpiced. Take a look at hammertie, cost's less and does a better job.

Do a search on both Hammerite and on POR15.. there's a fistfull of messages on the stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode