flattop angles? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 07:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

flattop angles?

I was wondering how important it was for flattop knuckles to have the same angle as each other? my passenger side has been milled and tapped(but from someone else), however, it is at a steeper angle than the driverside (from a chevy).. i've attached a pic.. any info would be very helpful.. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 09:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: flattop angles?

well, you have to picture them on the jeep too, it will affect your ball joints, unless you want to run heim's. in that case you will want to be careful that the bolt for the heim isn't to close to the tire. are you only mounting the drag link to the top or both?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 10:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hmm.. i guess i'm a little confused on what you're saying.. the knuckles are essentially identical, however the milled top of the passenger side (left in pic), seems to be milled at an angle.. when i put the hi-steer arms on, i will be running both separate draglink/tierod w/ 7/8TREs.. i was mainly worried about the TREs on the tierod(since the hi-steer arms will be at different angles).. didn't really think it would affect the ball joints.. i also don't see how the TREs would rub on the tire.. i guess it won't make too much of a difference..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 11:16 PM

it looks as if the one on the left is milled to match the angle of the existing TRE hole.

and the right side knuckle is Not going to allow the arm to be parallell to that same TRE mounting point.

there is probably enouhg angle ability in a good TRE ti make that work, but ID sy you ll have to mock it up and see what the angles are, and what the max abilities are.

oh yeah, that cheap beer, that stuff is going to kill you man!
there isnt much there, a weekends worth at my house, but cant you afford some real beer?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 12:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yea, i think you're right about the passenger knuckle.. seems that since the axle yokes tilt in, when i install the knuckle, it will sit perfectly level(good).. and the driverside will be skewed slightly inward.. probably won't be too bad, but it'll be a while before i actually get this axle in..
i didn't even realize the beer in the background.. yea, natty can pass for water.. and i usually stick with bud or coors-- that's why its in the garage! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] if memeory serves me right, that beer is goin' on 5 years!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 05:01 AM
Keyboard Implanted

i also think youll have to wait to get it together.. the tre's might have enough play in them to compensate for it.. how much of an angle is it.. could you get it milled to match the other angle????
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 07:26 AM

It LOOKS like you have a much more serious problem than the tops. The faces the spindle bolts to look like they're at different angles. If that's the case, you can't use them together. You will have to use the parts that match your axel.

Lay the spindle faces on a flat surface. Stick pieces of broomstick through the ball joint sockets, and see if the broomsticks are parallel. I had thought that they were all the same, but yours sure LOOK different in your picture.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 05:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

they definately look different in the picture.. when i saw this post earlier today, i thought i was SOL.. but, the milled knuckle (left) is actually milled flat on the bottom of the ball joint, so when i sit it on the table, it sits flat.. the driverside(right), still has two little notches on the bottom of the ball joint, so it never sits flat-- it teeters to the left or right.. so in the pic, they are pulled together by the zip tie, and causes the driver knuckle to teeter to the left, hence making it appear flatter in the pic.. i tried some rudimentary techniques to measure the angles, and they SEEM to be about the same.. there may be the slightest difference.. enough not to matter.. i have also assumed all these flattops knuckles are the same..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode