Brakes on AMC20 rear axle - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 10:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Brakes on AMC20 rear axle

Does anyone have a set of brake backing plates that they would like to sell. I am also looking for a disk brake conversion for the back. Would appreciate any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 10:52 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Re: Brakes on AMC20 rear axle

Why do you want rear discs? I did it using TSR brackets and discs. You realize you don't have the stopping power with discs you do with drums don't you? I did it to prevent brake fade with wet brakes. My e-brake has never held that good since either.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 12:00 AM
Enthusiast

What? Less stopping power with disc than drum. You must have done something wrong. Disks are more reliable too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 09:28 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Sorry, drums have better stopping power than discs. There is an assist with drums by the way the shoes are pivoted to pull into the rotating drum thereby providing more stopping power than discs.

The advantages to discs are they don't fade from heat, they shed water and are easier to maintain.

That said, I can lock up the tires with discs or drums so why not have the advantages of the discs? On the other hand, if you are have developed braking problems from running 38" tires, discs are going to make it worse, not better.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 09:37 AM

you can goto aa-mfg.com and order some brake caliper weld on brackets ( bout $6.50 each) and use $20 Chevy truck calipers, and front CJ rotors, and have rear disk brakes, although there is no provision for a parking brake.

try using the search function, its been discussed several times, and its a pretty common switch.

Ive never seen drum brakes on a monster truck, or a race car, or even on any newer vehicles, most cars you buy now adays have 4 wheel disk brakes, its hard for me to understand how they could work worse than a drum setup.

but im sure Taz is going to tell me!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 01:21 PM
Enthusiast

Nope. Disks have better stopping power than drums.

Yea, I know how the assist works in the drums. But that doesn't matter. That's just how drums work. It doesn't make them better than disks.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 04:30 PM
Official Curmudgeon

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
but im sure Taz is going to tell me!

[/ QUOTE ]Nope, I'm not taking the bait, I'll just leave you in the dark on this one. The flying rock and centripetal force posts took up too much of my time. Besides, when I said that the size of the pad had nothing to do with the stopping power, I'd open a whole new can of worms.

Let me ask though, since you look some to the racing world for suitable mods, some dirt track cars use larger tires on one side than the other. Since you offroad in the dirt, does that mean you put larger tires on one side and how do you know which side to make bigger?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 04:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just so that I do not insult anyone, I will reply to my own post.

I thank both of you for the advice. I am looking for disc brakes for the cooling advantage. When going down some of the trails in central Cali, the rears tend to heat up too much. I have warped the drums three times already. I even replaced the shoes when I installed the new drums. I will eventually be running a 38" tire, but I have not decided on the axle yet. I have been contemplating the idea of cutting down a 9", but leaning more towards a 14 bolt.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 05:16 PM
Official Curmudgeon

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I thank both of you for the advice. I am looking for disc brakes for the cooling advantage. When going down some of the trails in central Cali, the rears tend to heat up too much. I have warped the drums three times already.

[/ QUOTE ]Don't know that you're going to cool any better with discs. If I've got it right, you are talking about a lot of braking at low speed. You don't have enough air flow at those speeds to do any cooling.

I'd say look for solid, non-vented discs like I've seen on late model Ford trucks. You are not moving fast enough for the venting to do any good and the thicker discs should resist warping better. Vented disks will warp between the vanes giving a washboard effect.

At any rate, you won't have the brake fade with hot discs that you get with hot drums. The heat causes the drums to expand away from the shoes and don't self compensate. Discs don't expand in thickness much but they expand toward the pads and are self-compensating.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 11:33 PM

im not sure what you mean by taking the bait, but I do catch on when you talk about the stagger on dirt car.

I guess you leaving me in the dark is easier for you, and Ill just go on thinking that either

A: disks are better than drums
B: you arent sure how to convince me otherwise
C: you are so aggrevated that your TBI wont start your not being nice?

seriously taz, I dont really understand you thinking Im batigin you, Ive got no idea about the centripigal, centripadel, centrifugal posts, I dont think I got there at all.

do you maybe have me confused with someone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode