OT - TV news reporting on "snipers" Bushmaster - Page 4 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 01:45 AM
Veteran

Re: OT - TV news reporting on \"snipers\" Bushmaster

i apologize for giving this guy or rather these guys more credit in their marksmanship skill than they deserve, but in this age of pray and spray with inferior weapons and excessive ammo expenditure this was a rare instance where someone actually took the time to utilize some fundamentals of marksmanship in achieving their objective. yes i know of several juveniles who could make these shots, but this is a rare instance in our gun shy society where the toads typically opt for lucky suppressive fire than a well aimed shot. though this further emphasizes my beef about this jacka55 being referred to as a sniper as opposed to a sick &%$# with a gun who needs to fry and is f'ing up things for the rest of us who enjoy our right to bear arms. though, again, that issue can be looked at in the light that maryland has some of the most absurd gun laws around and this freak did what he did despite that, so obviously their definition of "gun control" is a stupid and worthless pursuit.

my definition of "gun control" follows a few simple rules...

support, stock weld, eye relief, breathing control, sight alignment, sight picture, and a slow steady squeeze with a good follow through

eduction, not erradication [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-web

and on a side note i dont hold the typical usmc chagrin for the army, they have a few good folks out there, hell they let me jump from their planes and starve in their swamp [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] though i was glad to see that this guy was not a marine, we take too much bad press for the nuts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 03:30 AM
Official Curmudgeon

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
fifth, being a law enforcement officer i have my own opinions on how this entire ordeal should have been handled, but am a firm believer (having fallen prey to it myself) that those who are not directly involved in an investigation have NO BUSINESS second guessing the actions of those who are

sixth, the media is a bunch of morons and need to shut the heel up, well, ok, some of them should fry too

[/ QUOTE ]Spoken like a true Communist. Government is good. Government knows best for you. Don't question your government. Keep the public uninformed. Sorry, Komrade.

And what's with this "fry" stuff? I assume you mean death penalty, but since you're having so much trouble with sniper, I'm not sure. While the death penalty is a good deterrent for others, it's not much of a penalty. When you die, it's over. The ultimate punishment is to make the guys life so miserable that he commits suicide, then give him CPR so he can be miserable for a while longer. If you believe in God, judgement, Heaven and Hell, he'll get there soon enough. Me, I ain't taking chances on something I've never seen.

Maybe I'm just cynical. When I was about 12 years old, the US Government told me that those Russians shot down Gary Powers when his U2 weather plane accidentally drifted into Russian air space. Several days later it was divulged that the government had lied, it was a spy mission. I haven't trusted them since. I haven't condemned them, but I keep a close eye on them.

When I was very young, my mother, father, grandmother, grandfather, aunts, uncles and teachers told me about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and God. I believed. Over the next few years, I found out that at least three of the four were fantasy. So no, I'm not ready to put blind faith in the fourth handling John Allen Muhammad, we'll take care of it here. Besides even if the fourth is true, I'd think he'd expect us to handle our problems rather than depending on him to handle them for us. I quit looking to mommy and daddy to handle my problems years ago.
post #33 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 06:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

UGLYJEEPGUY.....You brand of thinking is exactly why it didn't take long for the media's "experts" to "label" the shooter: "most-likely-to-be-a-white-guy-from-the-south" when it could not have been farther from the truth. You have perfectly demonstrated that it is POLITICALLY INCORRECT in this country to beat up on anyone except white angolo-saxon protestants. THE FACT IS.....Muslim extremists ARE a threat to this country. You can call it a "crack" and deny that the threat exists, but in the years ahead we'll see a lot more of this sort of attack, all in the name of, and justified by the penchant that the muslin bunch seems to have for proselizing; and the need that they seem to have for eliminating the "great satan" that the US has become to them. You better wake up and figure out that being "judgemental" is NOT a negative, as the liberals want you to believe, but it is "acting in good judgement". Every time you pull out in traffic you exercise good judgement. It IS legal to apply judgements to people as well. You need to save this thread and read it in ten years when you've had some more experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 12:26 PM
Veteran

taz, first off i am not going to respond how i initially wanted to, by throwing another derogatory remark at you in return. what i was simply trying to get across is that the media has done some good things and some bad things over the years. i think that its great that people are better informed on what goes on in the world, to that i give the media their credit. on the other hand the media has a tendency to give the public only have of the information, and when you take a person who has little or no knowledge or experience in dealing with something and you only give them half of the information you are left with a bunch of people who are making uneducated decisions about something that they knew nothing about to begin with. that leaves us with a bunch of people who decide to run off half cocked with only a partial knowledge of a situation to second guess the people who know all of the facts and may or may not (in this case i believe not) have experience in dealing with the particular situation. i am certianly not saying dont question authority, i am saying dont second guess a decision that a trained person makes in the line of their duty. if you feel that there was a better way go back and analyze the situation and learn, but as someone who has been employed in postitions since i was 18 where my split second decisions could affect others lives i dont want someone second guessing me.

bascially, if you feel that you have all the facts, and you have the knowledge, and you have the training, and you have the experience then by all means, tell me how you would have handled the situation, oh yeah, almost forgot, if you were there, standing in the mans shoes, please, tell me.

-web

and by the way taz, it was a red light camera that caught him, he was not stopped and ticketed, but of course i am sure your info came from the press which is of course the authority on all matters.

ok, i'll get off, im starting to think about that special olympics thing... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #35 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 12:26 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

When I was very young, my mother, father, grandmother, grandfather, aunts, uncles and teachers told me about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and God. I believed. Over the next few years, I found out that at least three of the four were fantasy. So no, I'm not ready to put blind faith in the fourth handling John Allen Muhammad, we'll take care of it here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I dunno, I think that leaving him to the Easter Bunny would be great!!! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Fritz
post #36 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 01:41 PM
Official Curmudgeon

and by the way taz, it was a red light camera that caught him, he was not stopped and ticketed, but of course i am sure your info came from the press which is of course the authority on all matters.

[/ QUOTE ]Actually it was second hand information. I probably shouldn't have trusted it but that source is usually pretty knowledgeable.

As for the rest of your post, we're a lot closer together. I think more information should have been released, the handwriting, the Tarot card and order, some of the messages, etc. Remember, it was when they released messages from the unibomber, it was his own brother that recognized certain references and turned him in.

I think Chief Moose is incompetent and was more interested in the glory than quickly solving the case. At least that's the impression I got of him. The longer the shootings went on the bigger the glory. If he had caught the guy after the first incident, you would have never heard of Chief Moose.
post #37 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 02:54 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Web, I forgot to add a couple of thing that I meant to which supports your view.

In 1980 Iran was holding Americans hostage. A mission was being planned to free them. I believe the name of the reporter that got the information was Jack Anderson. He published the date of a mission. The mission had to be scrubbed, Jack Anderson should have been hung for treason.

Connie Chung in another that should be sacking groceries instead of having a show after what she did to Newt Gingrich's mother. She asked how Newt felt about Hillary, Newt's mother didn't want to answer. Connie Chung told her she could whisper it in her ear, that she wouldn't tell, and then they cut to the camera that let you read her lips. That's why Ms. Chung was on hiatus for a while. I hate that she's back.

No, I'm not pro media and I hate it when they give an editorial and report it as factual news.
post #38 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 05:44 PM
Pooh-Bah

My point was simply that "registering" muslims would be as ineffective as registering guns. You bring in the word "extremists" now. Extremists of any race, color, or creed can be a problem. The criminals who have already chosen to break the laws, could care less about a gun law. I personally know 5 or 6 muslims that are as outraged as you, maybe more. They are the ones who are looked down upon because of the actions of the extremists.
As for my "lack of experience", I am only as old as I can be. If this is "lack of experience", so be it. But I do have a brain, and the free will to think and feel in a way I deem necessary.
Just as the majority of "whites-from-the-south" are good, law abiding citizens, most muslims (especially those that live and work here) have nothing to do with the insanity that has become headline news.
I do not agree with the media. I try not to watch anything that even gives an opinion. I am a big boy, I can form my own.
My theory is that prejudice in any form is unecessary, there are so many perfectly good reasons to hate people on an individual basis.
post #39 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 06:10 PM
Official Curmudgeon

I do not agree with the media. I try not to watch anything that even gives an opinion. I am a big boy, I can form my own.
My theory is that prejudice in any form is unecessary,

[/ QUOTE ]Now those statements together are funny.
post #40 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 06:49 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I'm getting into this post a little late in the game, but I want to throw my ideas into this pot. First off, I do feel that this guy is a sniper. Although the shots he took were not particulary difficult ones, they were still well aimed shots that for the most part (minus 3) were effective. This guy is not honorable, but I would have to say that any military sniper is. CJ7Taz, as for your communist comment, I think you were a little bit extreme there. Although you may not trust the government, many people do and they are far from being communist. I'm sure from past experiences with you that I will probly get some negative thoughts of yours, but we are all entitled to our own opinions. As for what should happen to this guy, I'm sure he won't be set free. It will be nearly impossible to find an impartial jury. As far as punishment, I am a believer in the death penalty in extreme cases such as this one. I am hesitant to call him a serial killer though, like many members of the media are. I always viewed serial killers as people who preyed on more than opportunity. I feel that serial killers have mental problems that for them make killing alright. In this case, the killer wanted money in the end. His drive was not for self fulfilment, but was for personal gain. I'm not denying that he may have mental issues, but he's no serial killer in my book.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode