OT - TV news reporting on "snipers" Bushmaster - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 12:25 PM

Re: OT - TV news reporting on \"snipers\" Bushmaster

It's the media's way of using convoluted logic to sell their idea. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Using this system, I am surprised the didn't blame, Monica Lewinski's "DRESS" for having a spoody stain. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
(If there were no dress, none of this would have happened)

Or why not blame the terrible menace to civilization the "SPOON" for the problem of obesity. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
(If only would could ban the spoon, people would stop eating so much)

I agree this "A"-hole is no sniper, he is just looser. and what a surprise he converted to Islam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 01:29 PM

A couple of comments...
While he certainly is not a sniper in the honorable military sense, he is using sniper TACTICS...therefore it is easier to simply call him a sniper.
If you look at the def. below, he certainly falls into the second one.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
snip·er Pronunciation Key (snpr)
n.
A skilled military shooter detailed to spot and pick off enemy soldiers from a concealed place.
One who shoots at other people from a concealed place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now for my other comment...
I have to disagree with Taz's (nothing personal [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]) opinion of snipers.
Typically, a sniper goes deep into hostile territory with a partner (spotter) or occasionally alone. There very existence and depends upon stealth and strategically avoiding detection by the enemy which outnumbers them greatly. There is no honor in charging in guns blazing and failing your mission, however there is honor in having the patience and skill to accomplish the goal of taking out your enemy and living to do it again. The asshat in DC is not a sniper be these standards, he is using these methods to cowardly pick off innocent people...there is absolutely no honor in that.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 01:31 PM
Addict

I gotta agree with the $30 handgun remark. Punks off the street with their illegally purchased weapon are far more scary than some deranged father and son with a crappy m-16 knock off.
I'd like to see someone call a marine sniper a coward to his face. Theyve gotta be the most steel-balled crackshots Ive ever seen. My dads hunting partner was a sniper in nam. picks off deer from a moving vehicle from distances of 500 yards or more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 02:36 PM

Read this the other day: "Guns cause crime like spoons make Rosie O'Donnel fat."
post #15 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 04:12 PM
Official Curmudgeon

I need some help here, is there a bug in the BBS where the words "OR OPPORTUNIST" don't show up on your screens. I remember typing them. They show up on MY screen. Or, is it rather that you chose not to read them, read it as "coward AND opportunist", or maybe opportunist was just to big a word for some of you, so you just ignored it.

No, I don't see sniper as an honorable profession. It's certainly not an honorable profession when it's one of theirs. So, how does it become an honorable profession just because it's one of ours?

Code of the west was you never shoot anybody in the back, you never shoot an unarmed person. Basically, it's not honorable to kill someone who lacked the means or opportunity to defend himself from the killer.

Sounds like the American brainwashings are going better than expected, especially reading that, "Chief Moose did an excellent job." comment.
post #16 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 07:55 PM

I need some help here, is there a bug in the BBS where the words "OR OPPORTUNIST" don't show up on your screens. I remember typing them. They show up on MY screen. Or, is it rather that you chose not to read them, read it as "coward AND opportunist", or maybe opportunist was just to big a word for some of you, so you just ignored it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I tried to be polite about it, but I should have know from past experiences that you can't deal with anyone that has a differing opinion.
It was interpreted that way, because YOU wrote it poorly, not because we are stupid or the software is bugged. YOU posted negative comments about snipers regardless if they are military or whackos like this latest guy. YOU did NOT differentiate. I simply posted my differing opinion of how I think snipers have an honorable and very tough job.
Thankfully I've never had to fight in a war, but if I did, you can damn well bet I'd be appreciating those snipers that are covering my ass knowing damn well that the other side has them too.
So, you think that when a SWAT sniper hits some asshat that is holding hostages in the head and ends the conflict with no innocent loss of life he should go home feeling like a coward because he didn't run down there old west style and have a draw? Give me a freakin break.
Who says it's not an honorable profession for the enemy sniper? We may not like them, but I wouldn't like ANY enemy soldier, sniper or not.

Bwahhh...whatever, I have better things to do then argue with a guy that can't deal with a differeing opinion without resorting to basically calling me and others illiterate idiots. I have a bumper to build, you can continue to try and make yourself feel smarter than the rest of us if you want, but I'm done.
post #17 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 08:20 PM

A Military sniper is not an assassin. One of their best attributes is to demoralize the enemy and take away the enemys will to fight. See what it did to Washington? People were afraid to get gas! In a combat situation, the sniper is gathering intelligence and demoralizing the enemy.
One thing that gets me in the media is the fact that he was a trained "Expert Shooter" in the military. The fact is that most (about 80%) of the people in the military with a clue about guns will end up shooting "Expert". Its just another ribbin that most members of the Armed Forces given enough time and the opportunity to qualify will achieve in thier career.
I guess thats all for now.
TJ [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #18 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 09:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I know a handfull of professional snipers that I have met through competition and through work, and let me tell you...they are probably the most honorable men I have ever met. They do not brag about kills, they don't discuss their work, you ususally can't even get them to say they are snipers because it is an awfull job to have to do. But they know it has to be done, and no matter what the public's un-informed opinion of them, they know they are doing the right thing. How "good" or "bad" a person a pro-sniper might be is obviously based on perspective. If you are on the receiving end of a pro-snipers wrath, then he is quite a horroble person, but they have a job to do that saves many more lives than they take.

This piece of crap that has been terorizing people out east ( see the perspective? ) does not deserve the title "Sniper". He is just a well trained and very tacticle piece of crap. He apparently had no political agenda, and no one who he was "Fighting" for. He was just a killer, just like any other murderer.

post #19 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 10:21 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Well, I tried to be polite about it, but I should have know from past experiences that you can't deal with anyone that has a differing opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]Well Dan, you are one of the people the portion of my post you quoted was not directed at. In your first post, the definition you gave supported my definition of sniper and you stated that. I had a problem with those who became fixated on the word coward, and missed the "or opportunist". I think you'll even find one daring me to call a Marine sniper a coward. I can respect a difference of opinion, I cannot respect someone who intentionally misquotes me to make his point.

I do disagree with your SWAT though, he is not what I consider a sniper. He has a well defined target. His target victim also has the means and opportunity to protect himself from the shooter. All he has to do is lay down his arms and end the situation. The SWAT sharp shooter will give him the opportunity to live.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 10:38 PM

What really cracks me up is that they take such an emphasis on him being militarily qualified as an "expert", what a joke. I've been active duty for 12 years and have qualified expert every year, on the year, so when I was selected for E-7 I knew it was my last chance to go to the rifle range...I shot left handed for ****s and giggles and still got expert, not a difficult task. Granted, i grew up shooting guns but the quals in the military, unless it's a distinguished shooter, don't mean jack squat. On another note, military snipers are anything but cowards and opportunists...they endure the most unimaginable weather, fear and natural factors, working in two man teams, to gather info, photos and other means of intel over their career while learning every inch of a weapon and honing every skill to not even pull the trigger once in a 20 year career because their nation is the only one to follow rules. To me they are the silent heroes with moral standards that most humans can't fathom and others fear to embrace. This guy is just a punk with a weapon, and doesn't rate to be deemed a "sniper" by any means of the imagination. My 2 cents...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode