Transmission torque mounts on CJ?????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Transmission torque mounts on CJ??????

Ok maybe i am just going nuts here. I know i have installed a couple of these but for some reason i dont remember having this question before, but the others i have installed were on friends rigs and it was always a hurry up and slap it in type deal, where they just didnt care.

I know i always had to add a washer to the bottom where it attaches to the skid plate so there wouldnt be any play in that area and i think i have added spacers in my question area.

So here is my question: The steel channel that comes from the trans is 1/8" or 3/16". But the gap in the rubber bushings is 1/2" or 5/8". Is it supposed to be that loose in that area? What good is it with that much space? If the mount were to go all the way up to the top bushing the trans mount would take all the abuse before the torque bushing would do anything. So should i or shouldnt i shim that area tighter??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 12:49 AM

Re: Transmission torque mounts on CJ??????

Jim, I think you could take up a little of the play without hurting anything. Assuming you are running stock engine and tranny mounts. If you have swapped out everything to poly or to a MORE style engine mount you could probably take out a lot of the play.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 05:10 AM

I had the same problem, and shimmed mine up tight with some washers. They inevitably come loose again, I used a Nylok nut to help the situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 05:33 AM
Keyboard Implanted

One of my transmittion mounts broke a while back and I needed a quick fix to get me home from school. I had some bushings left over for my sway bar disconnects, and as it turned out they fit really well. Used a bunch of washers to shim and a nice long bolt. Worked like a charm, solid as heck and I still haven't replaced it with a stock type mount.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 11:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

If I'm thinking of the same thing, my YJ's got the same problem. I replaced the bushings with new poly ones from Energy Suspensions and they're a little smaller and have lots of play in them. Also, anyone else have problems of bending the crap out of that bolt since it hangs down below the skidplate/crossmember?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 07:12 AM

Are we talking about that little steel bar that comes off the transmission mount towards the side, and then has a bolt and bushings that drop down through the skidplate?

When my Jeep was new those bushings were rattley loose. One time when I was putting the transmission back in I tossed the whole thing in the scrap bin. Never could detect a difference.

At the time, I decided that if there was a problem, I'd mount a small shock absorber between the head and the frame rail, where it would really control the engine rocking, but like I said, no problem.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Well between what i read here, and talking with two of my friends, both of which i have much respect for. I have two ideas.

One set up the way the factory did it. Which doesnt mean it was right. We all know how jeeps were put together. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Two, is to put it toghether with shims and make the mount acutally do something.

So after thinking about it for two nights and finally remembering what jeep i did it on before, i am going to shim it tight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode