Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   To Sell or Not To Sell (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/1410-sell-not-sell.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 10-07-1999 11:52 PM

To Sell or Not To Sell

What should I do? I have an 86 CJ-7 Renegade. It has a 258, T5, Dana 300, Dana 44 (rear), 59K miles, A/C, Holley 390cfm 4bbl, aliminum head, Clifford intake and exhaust manifolds, Jacobs ignition, 2.5" lift, Rancho's, 32x11.50's, hard top, soft top, and bikini top. I love this vehicle and it is a good looking vehicle. The problem is it needs 3 new lifters, a new cam, a radiator, water pump, oil pan gasket, distributor gasket, main seal, and rear seal. It will cost about $1500 to repair it all and there's no garauntee I won't need more work down the road. This is my second Jeep so I am well aware of what I was getting into when I bought it. It's my daily driver and I'm getting tired of the constant repairs.

Help me here. I'm down in the dumps and very close to sticking a For Sale on it. I've been looking at the new Grand Cherokees. Everytime I see one I think about how comfortable and maintenance free I could be. But then I wake up and think, hey, I'm in a CJ, what could be greater.

Someone talk me out of selling it, please.

o||||o
86 CJ-7

TOM85CJ7 10-08-1999 01:28 AM

Re: To Sell or Not To Sell

My wife has had two Chrokees. One was a '92 Laredo and the other was a '95 Grand Cherokee Laredo. Both broke often and parts are really expensive. You won't be doing yourself any favors by switching to Cherokees. You will probably lose more than $1500 just by selling your Renegade in the shape it is in. Go ahead and spend the money. If you still want to sell once the Jeep is fixed I am sure you will get your $1500 back. Besides Grand Cherokees are like luxury vehicles when compared to an old CJ. You'll be afraid to take it off the pavement.

Stay with the Renegade.....

No offense to Cherokee owners. After all I am an owner too.
1995 Grand Cherokee Laredo No Mods.

<font color=blue>1985 CJ7 4.2L, T-176, Dana 300, 2.73 gears(too high), 2.5" lift, 31" tires, Durabak</font color=blue>

ChrisM 10-08-1999 08:28 AM

How about finding a Grand with a 4.0 in a yard and swapping that into your CJ...then you get a little of each...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
I have a '95 Grand (V8) with 110,000 miles on it and the only major things I have replaced on it is the water pump and a seal on the tranny. It has been very reliable for me.
I still wouldn't give up my CJ for the world. Keep it for a project vehicle if nothing else. Looks like you already have a very nice one.

'79 CJ-7

**DONOTDELETE** 10-08-1999 09:04 AM

hey this is simple really, go to a wrecker and get a good running stock 258, drop it in there and get your rad redone, the rad is cheap, the engine won't cost that much and then you can drive it while you think on the trick motor.

whatever you do don't sell it, you'd regret it later on, you could buy another one to drive while you fix this one that way it dosn't matter if its broken for a while.

myself I will never sell my willys, I drive an old gmc all the time so if my jeep is broke the only think I can't do is wheel.

LooseNut 10-08-1999 09:14 AM

How do you figure it needs $1500.00 worth of work. You can do most if not all of the work yourself. Probably no more than $400 or $500.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....

**DONOTDELETE** 10-08-1999 11:19 AM

Why not just drop a fresh rebuild in it? A few days ago someone here posted a source for fresh 258's under a grand! That would more than take care of your problems, and all but guarantee that youi wont have engine problems again for a while! I'm not positive, but I think the price is $995, including shipping anywhere in the US, and a 1 year warranty! Don't sell it, you'll regret it. Check the site out though... Collins Bros. Jeep
Hope this helped, and Keep Jeepin'!

-Spyder

CJDave 10-08-1999 12:39 PM

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Just think, Rico, three payments on that new ZJ will be equal to all the repairs on your CJ and....oh yeah, I forgot....there will be fourty-five payments left....but don't let a little thing like that affect your decision. Don't get me wrong, I love my Grand Cherokee, but that 30 thousand bucks is something to think about. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

CJDave

BigMan 10-08-1999 01:14 PM

To hell with talking you out of selling it.... How much do you want for it?

Al
My web page

Jeepskate 10-08-1999 02:00 PM

You have a highly desireable last of breed vehicle. Keep it. Either buy a reman engine and drop it in yourself with help from a buddy or two, or fix the existing engine yourself. Odds are you have a friend or fellow club member who knows there way around an engine and can show you the ropes.

Scott_CJ8 10-08-1999 02:11 PM

That's what the "Jeep Thing" is all about. If you use it, it's gonna need some attention sooner or later. Any vehicle will! If you buy a Cherokee, go off-roading-
it's gonna need some repairs too! and they'll be expensive also. I've yet to see a jeeper with a modified vehicle that didn't have more into it than he could
ever get out of it (money-wise). You've got a great Jeep! Keep it, pour a little heart and sweat into it, and you won't regret it.

Keep on Jeepin'
Scott