supercharged 305 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

supercharged 305

i was thinking, my buddy has a cj with a 454, iv just got a 305. i bought it from golens engine service so i know all of the engine components would be up to the job. what im wondering is if the nv4500 tranny and dana 300tcase would hold up with all the horsepower. im not really sure if i should even do it, i know that the 305 would be probably supply sufficient hp, but its no 454 haha. let me know what you would do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 02:21 PM
RedSandDog

Re: supercharged 305

Short answer is probably, dependeing on how agressively you set up the supercharger.

But why? Is it just because your buddy has a bigger one, or are you running short on power?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 02:37 PM
Official Curmudgeon

The first question is what do you use your Jeep for? And secondly, why do you want that much power?

I wouldn't do the supercharger. I've got a 305 TPI and had no problem out running a 396 Nova. I also outran a 428 Mustang, but I think the guy lacked driving ability, he was TOO easy. 350 Camaros and Firebirds are no problem. Never got a chance at a 'vette yet. One time I tried, but a Honda wanted to try him out and I couldn't get beside the 'vette at the light. The Honda driver wasn't too surprised when the 'vette ran away from him but when a Jeep went around him too, he was noticeably upset. The driver of the 'vette kept turning his head to look in his rearview mirror, having a hard time accepting that a Jeep was keeping up with him.

If that's not enough power for you, add a TURBOcharger to it. Only thing is, the turbo boost comes in at higher RPM. So does the supercharger to some extent though.

So, back to the original questions, what and why. If you want low RPM power the TPI will give it to you. For more low end power, you need more stroke, longer crankshaft throw provides more leverage. If you want high RPM range HP for racing, the turbo will do it along with porting/polishing and free flow exhaust..

Of course, if you are going to enter it in car shows, a polished supercharger is the way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 02:46 PM
Spike5421

SUperchargers are cool if you don't want to mess with all the electrical involved in TPI. I know exactly what you mean about the 454, my friend that I wheel with has an early bronco with a 351W with the edelbrock performer package, he constantly makes me want to swat my 4.0 for a 350 or equivalent. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 08:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah- and my ford pinto outruns ferraris
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 09:44 AM

Were you racing the Nova and Mustang on the beach??????

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 09:53 AM
Official Curmudgeon

On the street, stop light up to the speed limit. I'm no idiot, I know he'll take me in the quarter. Did I mention fiberglass Jeep body, don't weigh nothing.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 02:29 PM

Taz,Taz,Taz,,,,,,,,,

Are we stretching this story a little????? [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Frist you say:
-snip-I've got a 305 TPI and had no problem out running a 396 Nova. I also outran a 428 Mustang, but I think the guy lacked driving ability, he was TOO easy. 350 Camaros and Firebirds are no problem. Never got a chance at a 'vette yet. One time I tried, but a Honda wanted to try him out and I couldn't get beside the 'vette at the light. The Honda driver wasn't too surprised when the 'vette ran away from him but when a Jeep went around him too, he was noticeably upset. The driver of the 'vette kept turning his head to look in his rearview mirror, having a hard time accepting that a Jeep was keeping up with him.-snip-

Then you say:

-snip-On the street, stop light up to the speed limit. I'm no idiot, I know he'll take me in the quarter. Did I mention fiberglass Jeep body, don't weigh nothing. -snip-

So you passed a Honda at the amazing speed of 30mph?
But the 'vette couldn't go faster then 35mph?
So you had "no problem out running" a Nova, Big Block 'Stang, a 350Camaro and a firebird,,,,,,,,,,as long as they don't go over 30mph.
[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I have a IROC Camaro with a TPI 350, it's weight is 3250lbs, much lighter then my 'glass tub jeep. The 350 has 230hp and 330lbs torque, the most a 305 had was 220hp and 295lbs but not in the same engine, you could get hp or torque but not both.
For reference:
http://members.fbody.com/iroczfbody/DRIVETRAINLIST.htm

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be mean but I have a hard time believing anyboby that only has 3 stars.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 02:46 PM

To run any more then a couple lbs of boost, you'll need to lower the engine's compression down to about 8 to 1. Lower compression pistons or a head spacer will need to be added. If you use a head spacer, your need to port match the intake manifold. Most blown engines are built from the ground up, around the idea of using a blower.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 03:06 PM
Official Curmudgeon

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
,,,,,,,,,as long as they don't go over 30mph.

[/ QUOTE ]Did I say residential streets? Speed limit was 40, ran to about 45 mph.

Bring your IROC on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode