72 cj-5 hardtop hardware - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 01:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

72 cj-5 hardtop hardware

Does the Hardtop use different door mounts then the soft top?

Pictures of this Jeep with a hardtop show the top door hinge dropping into a bracket that mounts on the side of the windshield. I'm not so sure the lower hinges match either.

Any ideas on where I can get these brackets?

(I don't have the top yet. I'm driving from Texas to Georgia to get it this weekend. It is off a 1967, but is identical to the one in the picture of the 1972.)

I'm new here, but I searched the thread with no results.
Thanks
[email protected]
picture attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 926425-72cj5.jpg (61.3 KB, 36 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 01:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 72 cj-5 hardtop hardware

Your best bet is to look on ebay. sometimes they come up. Else you will have to fabricate them. I had a hard top and I was missing the hinges also. It is too hot to use the hard doors, so i made my soft top doors fit. Worked real nice. Just needed some angle iron and screw it on to the door openings to fit the doors.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 04:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I went through this on my 74 CJ. The hardware is not the same at all, as you have noticed in your pictures
there are different brackets for the doors. You must have them for the doors to work or make some. You
may have other problems as I did. The windshield angles are not the same, the earlier (pre 72) models
leaned back further. When I went to install mine it was to short by 1-2 inches. To modify the top to fit you
would have to cut out the part of the roof section that fits over the original soft top rail of the windshield.
The other option would be to lean the windshield back. Rather than butcher the top or the windshield frame
I sold it to a guy with a pre 72. It could be made to work but once the mods are made it may be difficult to
go back to the original setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 06:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

First, thanks for the info.

Second, WHAT?

Why in #@*# does everybody and their dog say that it is the same top for 55-75?

This is a nightmare.

Looks like it's going to be a long winter. No soft top no hardtop.

thanks again for the info.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 07:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I found out the hardway, I got the same information you did in that they are all the same. not so in my
case. you could always do as I did, buy it if you can't get it to work another jeeper will want it. One other
option would be to put a early style windshield frame on you 72.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 08:22 PM

"Why in #@*# does everybody and their dog say that it is the same top for 55-75?"

Probaly because they are.

The more laid back windsheild began in '76.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 09:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks

I scored this top on ebay after two years of searching for a 55-75 close to Texas. I got a sweet deal, but I have to drive 12-14 hours one way to get it. It all works out to about the price of a new soft top. I was freaking out that I had spent my soft top money on something that wouldn't work.

Baker01- the guy with the 74- must have had the windshield replaced by a previous owner without his knowledge. He's the only person I ever heard that from. At least, that's what I choose to believe until I get the thing home.

Now if I can just find the door hardware.

Thanks again
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 12:53 AM

So, is this top missing the doors and hinges? If you are taking it off another jeep, just make sure to grab the hinges too!

MAN! I just moved 200 miles from a guy that has like, 3 of those hardtops just laying around! That's where I snagged an extra driver's door to replace my severely banged up one! However, you could manufature the pieces fairly easily. The lower ones are simply a flat plate of metal with 4 holes in it, with a tube rolled up on one edge. You could get the same effect by welding a piece of tubing the door hinge slides into easily right onto a piece of flat plate and drilling the holes. The upper one is doable too, same technique, but getting the angles right would be a PITA. I'd take pictures and measurements for you, but I'm currently ALSO 200 miles from my jeep and won't be near it for a couple of weeks..........If you can't find any in a week or so, let me know and I'll see if the guy I know is willing to part with any--he's kinda funny--some stuff he doesn't mind giving away, some he get's finicky about. Heck of a good guy though. Also, there is no rule that says you HAVE to use the original style hinges. A couple of simple hinges bolted right to the tub would work. Actually, a gate style "T" hinge wouldn't be a bad idea either. Just remember to slot the holes on the part of the hinge that bolts to the door--these tops are never quite perfect and it takes a bit of fussing to get the doors to close and seal right. After a year of screwing around with mine, I've finally got most of the rattles gone, and hope to kill the rest when I finish rebuilding the drivers door!

Good luck with it!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 09:18 AM
Keyboard Implanted

The top can be used on both types of CJs. you have to shim the windshield frame to make it go forward a bit, or cut down on the cowl gasket to let the windshield lean back. My top fit my jeep perfectly, but it held the widnshield forward a bit when i bolted it on. not problem. My jeep is a 63, and my friend has his dads 74 CJ5 that he bought brand new. There is almost not difference at all between our jeep.s I just sold him an old soft top and it fit perfectly. You will just have to take a little bit of time and shim, or cut the gasket to fit the hard top. The CJ5 bodys all had the same dimensions, it was the fenders that lengthend in the 70s and the later 70's brought a skinnier windshield and the more leaned back look. The tub for the early 70's cj5 are almost identical to the early CJ5 tubs, except for a bit of cosmetic differences.Beleive me i poured over my buds jeep to see what was different between years and what i could swap over to my jeep. But bottom line is, i would go get it and make it work. But beware though, the top will sap alot of power out of your jeep and make it a bit more top heavy. When i pulled the top off my jeep it seemed to run so much better instantly. I still wish i had one again, i do like the looks of the hard top. but Florida is a bit hot for them. It is like driving in a microwave.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 03:25 PM
Nickmil

Danstew is absolutely correct. The hard tops fit from '55-'75. Regarding the doors not fitting to the windshield, there is
a sheet metal spacer that goes between the upper hard door frame where it angles back and the windshield frame. It is
screwed to the windshield frame. The upper door hinge protrudes out from the lower part of the windshield frame.
The lower hinge is bolted to the side of the tub just in front of the door opening. Most of the time, the reason you have to
adjust or shim the windshield frame forward is because after years of tension on the windshield frame towards the back
of the Jeep, the seal and frame take a set in that direction. Jeeps with the hardtop stock don't normally have this problem
as the front of the hard top supports the wind shield frame and the seal doesn't take this set. If you are getting the hard top,
make sure you are getting all of these parts, ESPECIALLY THE WINDSHIELD TO DOOR SPACERS. These can be extremely
hard to find. I have two sets that fit my two hard tops and have been toying with the idea of making some to sell when I have time. Unfortunately I
can't do it now as time doesn't allow it. By the way, by removing the original soft top channel on an M38a1 windshield frame these
tops will also fit Military M38a1's. Nickmil. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode