Should I get this? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Should I get this?

A buddy of mine found a Suburban that some guy has parked in his yard. It has a small block 400 and dana 44 front and rear. The engine has been rebuilt, but the brakes need to be redone. The guy only wants $500 for it and my buddy said he would throw in $150-$200 for the tranny, so I'll only have to pay $300-$350 to get an engine, front and rear end. I can't remember what year model it was. I am thinking early to mid 80's. Would this be a good deal to swap everything into my YJ?

Thanks, Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 07:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Should I get this?

Are you thinking? GET IT. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 07:44 PM

That sound like a good deal however remember stuff from that surburban will not directly bolt in place so that means more moey out of your pocket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Yeah, I know it won't bolt up. I'm figuring around $3000 to do everything that I want to do; which I think will be pretty good. My buddy is a mechanic so I'm not having to pay for any labor. He's going to help me get everything done. He's done a Jeep/350 conversion before too so it won't be his first time doing this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 08:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Are the 44's swapped in, cause most burbans used a 10 bolt front and a 10 bolt rear for the 1/2 ton burbs. On the 3/4 ton they used a 12 bolt front with a baby 14 bolt in the back. The early chevys did use a front 44 for awhile. Also i dont like the 400sb. They are hard enough to keep cool in a truck let alone a jeep.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 08:19 PM

The 400 is a great motor with plenty of power for your YJ, As long as you've got enough water flowing through to keep it cool. It shouldn't be too much of a hassle, though, with all the options for radiators now. I'd definitely go for it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 11:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd get it, and I wouldn't part the tranny out either. If it's got a 400 and a Front Dana 44 that means it's a 70's model. The trannies in those are awesome too, stick it's a granny gear Sm-465, auto it's turbo 400, with probably a Np-205 transfer. The rear is a 12-bolt too, this is a great drivetrain to swap into a Jeep for $500!!!! The rear is C-clip but plenty strong for 35's. Hell I'd keep the motor/tranny/transfer and sell the axles. GET IT!!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 05:42 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I would say that you have found yourself a fantastic deal. $500 for parts, and a buddy for free labor. Get it ASAP. I wish I had a buddy to help me with free labor.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

The man says it's a 350 transmission. Since this tranny doesn't have overdrive the front and rear end will probably need to be re-geared won't they? Would I just be better off finding another front and rear end? My friend already has a set of 1 ton front and rears out of a chevy. Maybe I could just pay the full $500 and let him have the tranny for his front and rear end. I would like to get a sm465 with the np205 for my tranny/tcase.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 05:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Th-350 are good auto's too, with the number of trick mods and good shift kits out there I wouldn't pass one up if it had a Np-205 on the back. Well if your friend will trade you the 1-tons for the tranny then do that too! but I doubt it. How big are you planning on going? If over 35's then just sell the axles for $500 after you buy the truck that way you come out with a good set-up for free [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] The lowest gear that came in them stock was 4.10 but some had special ordered 4.56 gears in them, most common is 3.73. If they got 4.10's in them I'd run them (if only running a 35). Good luck, and nice find [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode