anything magical about hard line being SS from pum - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 05:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

anything magical about hard line being SS from pum

Is there as significant reason the fuel line from my mechanical fuel pump on my 88YJ up over the engine to the carb is stainless steel?

I ask because my flarenut was attached to the line instead of spinning freely and I messed up the threads on the nut trying to get it out.

I was just going to go to ACE or Home Depot and get a brass flared fitting with a barb on the other end and run a piece of fuel line over the engine. I'll make sure it doesn't rub by covering it with something if need be.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 06:14 AM

Re: anything magical about hard line being SS from pum

It's probably cad-plated steel - not stainless - and you really do want a hard line there. Even if a hose is carefully mounted and doesn't chafe, it will get brittle eventually, by which time you'll have forgotten to check it regularly. When it starts to leak you have a nice little spray nozzle. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 10:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm almost certain it's stainless, not mild or carbon steel that's plated.

Also, it looks to be double-flared. I've called tons of automotive places here, and hydraulic shops etc. No-one seems to do SS flaring.....

I'm thinking of just cutting the end off and getting a fitting from the hardware store that has a nipple on the other end like I said and just having a 2" piece of hose as a jumper from the pump to the hard line. That way I still get the protection of having a metal line over the engine.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 11:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

No reason that that wouldn't work - Just about all of my rigs have a "jumper" like that due to various problems, including gorked flare nuts [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 11:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Pugsley, do you know if there is any difference in the flare angles from the automotive world and the brass fitting from the plumbing world?

Where did you get your fittings to work around your messed up flarenuts(my problem also)?

thanks,

Mike
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 11:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Usually automotive and standard are the same thread and pitch (NPT) - I got the carb fitting for my CJ's Holley at Home Depot for about $2.50 (look in plumbing where the polyethylene and copper tubing fittings are), and the one for my Blazer's QJet at Napa for around $5.00.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 11:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks, that was what I was hoping for.

Mike
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 11:52 AM

Check it with a magnet. Some SS alloys are slightly magnetic, but you can still them from regular steel. Regardless of what's there now, plated steel should work fine, if you can get it.

On the other hand, quite a few factory setups use short pieces of hose between the hard line and the filter, and between the filter and the carb, so you should be OK there. The smart thing to do is to change the connector hoses every time you change the filter. Good quality filters often come with jumper hoses packed along in the box. If you don't have an in-line filter, now is the time to put one in.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 03:12 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Wow you got a lot of answers with little information to go on. First, I highly doubt it's stainless. On an '88, I'm guessing fuel injected. That means higher pressure than carburetor. I'd also guess that double flare means the nut is external thread. I'm also guessing being an '88, it's metric. I doubt you'll find anything at the hardware store. It's probably brake line. Make sure you take the old nut, I just went through this to find new fuel and brake lines for my Jeep. The fuel line was easy being metric, but the brake line was American fitting BL. There are a lot of different fittings, BL, BLB, BLJ, BLG, BLM are just a few of the ones I remember seeing in my quest. Some have treads to the end of the nut, some do not. They come in several sizes, the number after the nut code is the diameter in sixteenths of an inch, the next number is the length. My brake line was BL3-41, nut style BL, 3/16" dia, 41" length. Seems like I saw 3, 5, 7, and 9 for diameters.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 08:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It's carbureted, so not high pressure.

I'll bet money this is stainless tubing. 15 yr old tubing in my Jeep is covered in rust if not SS, and I was an aerospace engineer for the last 5 years so have dealt a lot with SS lines(I've done oxygen systems and potable water systems) as well as CAD plateing(basically all our parts that see exterior conditions are CAD or some other plated).

You are right about not finding anything int he hardware store tho. NAPA ended up having a piece just for this sort of thing, fixing jacked up fuel lines. It had the external threaded flarenut and the right flare to mate up to my pump and a piece of tube about 4" inches long with a bead on it for a length of fuel line to go over as a jumper to my existing hardline when I cut the flarenut off. Was only $3 and change as well.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode