what to look for in a cj when buying? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 03:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what to look for in a cj when buying?

I own a Jeep Cherokee and I'm looking to buy a 1976 cj (304, 3spd, probably a 2-4" lift). I'll check it out tomorrow but I'm interested in finding out what the key problem areas are that I should really pay attn to.

thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 04:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: what to look for in a cj when buying?

Frame - look for any rust
Body - check for bubbles in the paint where they may have just painted over some cancerous rust...
Check the compression of the engine. Take a look at the tranny and xfer case for leaks... Look where the jeep has been sitting for any signs of leaks. Uhm... what else people [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 04:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oh yea and welcome to the Board. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 04:28 PM

Also watch for cracks in the frame. Jeeps are prone to frame cracks where the springs mount to the frame, as well as near the steering box. Cancer in the floor boards or body mounts is also common. If it has carpet, pull up a section in a few different places and look for soft spots or gobs of bondo. Carpet has killed many a jeep. If it has been lifted, stay away from lift blocks. If there's more than an inch thick block between the spring pack and axle it will be dangerious to drive.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 10:13 PM
Official Historian

NHCJ7, have you looked at a jeep's suspension before? "Lift blocks" on a jeep would lower it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 11:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd pass on this Jeep unless it was just a killer deal, a 77 with a T-18 is a nice older Cj-7, but personally I wouldn't get any Cj-7 that was older then an 83. Why, cause you get the widetrack axles, the Dana 300, you can look for one with a T-176 4 spd. tranny (the best CJ tranmission next after the T-18) plus the body and frame will probably be in better shape. Old jeeps are just to much of a project for me anymore, I got too many projects as is, an almost complete rebuild of a 28 year old jeep just doesn't sound appealing to me not when you can a newer 7 for cheap.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 11:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I wouldn't go that far busted rig... what if he doesnt want to keep the axles? wants to go full-width? Who gives a ... about widetrack if your planning on running heavy duty... if the jeep has a sound frame and body to work with go for it. If you've got the time and money anything can happen. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 12:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well as has been said many times Jeeps are built not bought. That said Buy what one want in a stock jeep. If you want a V8, power steering, power brakes, and auto transmision: then you should not buy a jeep with a 4 banger, manual steering and brakes and a stick shift. Yes you can convert one to the other and vise versa but the time and money invalved is not worth it. Take your time and find a Jeep that atleast comes close to your requirments not just the first one that comes along, in the end you will be happier you waited.

bandhmo
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 08:58 AM

Yes Will, I have looked at a Jeeps suspension and not all lifted Jeeps still have the springs mounted under the axles. I almost bought a CJ5 a few years ago that for a lift had a spring over conversion. You know, springs on top of the axle instead of under like stock. It's a nice cheap way to get some height while keeping your stock springs. Apparently the spring over wasn't enough lift for this guy so he added lift blocks, front and rear. It had disaster written all over it. I've used lift blocks in the rear on trucks before, but they're downright dangerous on the front.

I guess I should've been more specific in my earlier response.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 01:43 PM

I second Bandhmo's thoughts. Buy something that is as close to the finished product that you want. Keep in mind that a loft and tires can be added pretty easily and cheaper than a motor transmission and transfer case swap. Take it from me. I bought a 73 CJ5. I have added a V8, disc brakes, power steering. I am looking to do a trans swap to an auto or a 4spd. It is much cheaper and easier to buy one with the drivetrain you want. That said. Lets all keep in mind that Jeeps have to be bought before they can be built, usually. Or you can think of it this way. Any modified Jeep had to be built by someone. The quote "Jeep are built..." does not mention that you had to build it. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode