T176 - should bolt to a 302 NP correct? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 10:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

T176 - should bolt to a 302 NP correct?

Since the T176 is a ford tranny it should bolt up straight to a Ford 302? Without any modification? I have never worked with Manual Trannies so I dont know what would have to be changed between a 258 to a 302 swap. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 11:24 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: T176 - should bolt to a 302 NP correct?

YES!! I use a bellhousing from a '79 F100 (numbers indicate it came from a '66 F100 with 300 6cyl). It bolts right onto the tranmission. Bolts right to the 302. I sure hope you are going with a 5.0 swap. Eliminate the middle step!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2002, 10:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Be careful, the jeep t-176 bolts right up to a small block ford bellhousing, but the input shaft tip of the tranny MAY bottom out in the Ford crankshaft. I had to trim the pilot bearing area of my t-176 input shaft by about 3/8ths of an inch. I did it with a grinder, and then chamfered the tip so it'll slip in easily to the pilot bearing, which, by the way was custom. You need a Ford O.D. bearing with a Jeep I.D. Or use a jeep pilot bearing with a homemade bushing to get the O.D. correct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 12:57 AM

I'm not sure how the pilot shaft bushing got to be something "SPECIAL". I used a stock bushing for the 302 in an F100. I compared the I.D. and they are exactly the same. It even has the same dimensions in the book at the parts store.

My T176 came from a CJ and I had no problems with the length, or diameter of the input shaft. I would argue that the difference in length is because your T176 came from a truck aplication (just guessing here) but I thought the difference in those two transmissions were longer, like a couple of inches.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 09:01 AM

Don't you also need a Chevy clutch plate in the ford pressure plate? From what I understand the input shaft on the t-176 is the same as a chevy.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 10:01 AM
juniorjs

With the early ford bellhousing you will have to make some type of adapter for your clutch linkage. So you will be better of using a bellhousing that has the hydrolic setup.(i belive that mid 80s f-truks have them)
But yes the ford housing will bolt to your T-176 and you will need a special pilot bushing(from advance adapters or have your local shop made one for you) and use the chevy clutch.
junior
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2002, 10:09 AM

I used a JEEP clutch disk, just make sure the splines are the right count/size. As for the clutch pivot, I modified the ford version. F-trucks with mechanical clutches use a bolt on pivot. It mounts right over the bellhousing to the back of the motor. It doesn't take much to modify it, and it'll work with the jeep bellcrank. I had to swap the "arms" of the bellcrank, from the ford to the jeep (jeep is too short). But it all works now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode