Mirrors, again - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-07-1999, 10:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mirrors, again

<font color=blue>Ok, I hate my steel horse mirrors. I need some alternatives to these things. They shake, they loosen, they stick out WAY too far for my tiny garage.

Its a 94 YJ, and I don't want to drill, if it can be avoided... looking for some experience with quality parts. I don't want to attach them to the 1/2 doors... I've already got the OEM stuff....

Danke!</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>YJ94
94 YJ, I6, 3.5" Warn lift, 31.5 BFG A/T
[email protected]</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-07-1999, 11:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Mirrors, again

I seen those mirror relocation brackets that use the same bolts on the windshield hinge- I think they are in the quadratec catalog. You use the same mirrors that were attached to the half door, and can keep em there with the doors off

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-07-1999, 11:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Have the relocator brackets on my TJ. They work well with stock mirrors.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-08-1999, 08:03 AM
Enthusiast

I'm not sure which mirrors you have now, but Kentrol makes a CJ style mirror for the YJ that uses the 2 existing bolt holes on the front of the windshield hinge. I haven't installed mine yet, but from what I seen and heard, the hinge bolts are difficult to get out.

jerry
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-08-1999, 11:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, um, "difficult to get out" is an understatement. It's not that it a really technical proceedure or anything, it's just that when you buy them, the package and the design makes it seem like a quick and easy bolt-in. Thats like saying a cam swap is a quick and easy bolt-in. What you need to know before you buy anything that uses those bolts (the lower windshield hinge bolts, not the upper ones) as a mount is that there are nuts on the back side of the bolts. These nuts are sprayed with a white goop that hardens like household caulk, then, they are covered by the main flat metal piece of the dash, which can only be accessed after removing all of the plastic bezels, gauges, the dash pad, and in the process, folding the windshield down to access some of the bolts. Basically, you'll remove the entire dash just to get to the back of the bolts. If you decide to go this route anyway, do yourself a huge favor and have the nuts welded on back there so you can remove them later without all this hassle. All that said, the entire install of my relocation brackets took about an hour and a half and I don't regret it, although I wish I knew beforehand what I was getting into - I don't like surprises like that. One other thing about the relocation brakets, your passenger side mirror may become useless, or (like in my case) you may need to position it so that you're looking out the windshield to see it, instead of the passenger window. Just the advice I wish I had gotten before tackling the install myself. I love my relocated mirrors - I have full and half doors (neither have mirrors now) and I run with no doors most of the time, and I don't have to worry about swapping mirrors, or even adjusting them. Just drop the door in the hinges and go. Hope this helped! Happy Jeepin'!

-Spyder
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-08-1999, 01:48 PM
BigMan

the easyest way to do it is to get a set of cj mirror brackets. Line them up on the hing and dril the 4 holes, then tap the for screws and put a thread sealer on the screws and screw them in.You now have a cj style mirror that can actually be used on the passenger side. The yj relocation brackets position the pass. side mirror so that you cant see it.
I have a set of cj brackets if youwant them.

Al
My web page
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-08-1999, 06:24 PM
MNT
Addict

I did a bit of drilling and moved the OEM brakets to the front of the windshield. The still work OK, they don't stick out too far, the look like the came from the factory and they are easily adjustable. The passenger side you have to look at through the windshield though. No big thing, you can still see behind you.

Good Luck

MNT
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-09-1999, 09:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>Thanks for the posts...

Big man, I think I'm going to stick with the Steel Horse for now. Thanks for the offer...

I'm just going to put back on the OEM until I can find the stock relocation brackets. I've seen them for TJ's, but not YJ's...

maybe I'll fab something... ya right!

<font color=blue>YJ94
94 YJ, I6, 3.5" Warn lift, 31.5 BFG A/T
[email protected]</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode