OT - What tires do you use for your DD - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

OT - What tires do you use for your DD

I've done a search on a couple of the different BBS here, and I can't get a real answer.
I'm looking at tires for my 99 GMC K1500, stock size, 98% street/highway with a few camping trips to the woods here in the Pacific Northwest.
I've been looking at the BFG A/T's, I can get a 4 of them for $550 out the door. Guess the ? is, does anyone have any experience with the Wild Country's from Les Schwab? Are they worth using? Do they compare at all to the BFG's, is there something better?
Bonus, maybe this would be a good way for others to find out also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 09:51 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: OT - What tires do you use for your DD

I have run BFG A/Ts on every truck I have had for the last 12 years. As far as I am concerned they are the best all around highway/off-road tire around. They don't do well in mud, but the tread usually lasts 50k miles. I have rarely gotten a flat in over 450k miles and never had a blowout. I am on construction sites all the time and I tow heavy trailers regularly. Hope this helps.

Later,
Tom
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 09:59 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I will second that, BFG A/Ts are the best. If you have a street truck use them, if you do mild wheeling use them, if you drive in the snow use them. Just use them, they are great tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 10:03 AM

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but BFG is the way to go. BFG Rugged Trail TA came stock on my daily driver (Toyota Tacoma 4x4)and they do great. I've got 30,000 miles on them and barely lost any tread. They've been great in New England winters too.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 10:08 AM
utahjeepr

It won't help you much, but I run BF Goodrich DR444 tires on my DD. They are commercial truck tires in size 11R-22.5. I run them on my M715 instead of swampers in order to get decent tire life.

BFG ATs have good tire life, especially considering that they are a good off-road tire. BFG muds generally don't last quite as long as the ATs. It has been my experience that "no name" tires usually do not last as long as name brand tires. There are exceptions, but this is generally the rule.

What size are looking at? $550 for 4 sounds like a fair price (not a great deal, but fair) for 35x12.50s but it is a lousy price for 31x10.50s.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 11:27 AM

My Dd uses 185-70 R13's. I get them for $100.00 a set of 4 new. Not much help for you....

My favorite (truck) tires in the world for the road are Bridgestone AT's. They grip great in wet and horrible road conditions and get like 50k a set.

Best regards

John
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 11:31 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I have to disagree with the BFG AT in the snow. the first snow my BFG AT's saw found me stuck in the apartment complex parking lot. they loaded up with snow and I was sliding everywhere. By the next winter I had Wild Country RVT Muds on and plenty of traction in snow. Rain, no problem, onroad manners no problem, tread wear still running strong, plows thru mud, only had limited rocky trail use, but no problem with traction there yet. and not bad price at my local dealer either. I think $450 out the door. But only go up to 33's in this tread pattern. but the BFG/AT for a DD tire in genral seemed pretty good IMO. But I'm still a big fan of my Wildcountries.

brent
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 12:00 PM
85Jeepny

BFG A/T's I've had these on quite a few vehicles, good luck with them, good mileage, really good all around tire....

I will NOT buy a tire unless it's from Goodyear, BFG or Michellen....just my preference though!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 12:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am going to recommend a little known tire that I just put on my dd Cherokee and have been very pleased with, and is also releatively inexpensive. The Goodyear Workhorse Extra Grip, it is a little more agressive than most ATs, even hums a little on the road. The only down side is the lack of a huge selection of sizes, but I think they will probably have one in the size you need. Check them out before you run out and buy some BFGs, i've used both.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 02:46 PM
Old Hand

Ditto on the BFG's. The sidewalls are tough. I hate cutting tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode