Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   SNOW!!! (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/140792-snow.html)

SuburbanAssault 10-23-2002 08:35 AM

SNOW!!!

Well today's the first day of snow here in good ol' New England. Nothing's catching so far, but it's a reminder that it'll hit pretty soon. I've noticed already that my YJ doesn't have much for traction anyway, how do your Jeeps jandle in the snow? I'm running 30" ATs right now, I might run snow tires for the winter just to make sure I can stop if I have to.

**DONOTDELETE** 10-23-2002 08:47 AM

Re: SNOW!!!

We have had snow on the ground here for a couple of days now. It came down on Sunday night and Monday morning. Snow is the fourth best thing known to man. I run 31" AT's on my Samurai. They do alright, but MT's would be better I'm sure! [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

NHCJ7 10-23-2002 09:48 AM

Yeh, I had about an inch on the lawn this morning. It's a little too early for winter. I don't drive my Jeep much in the winter anymore. Jeeps are so light that they tend to slide around so a good snow tire would be a good idea.

I run BFG Rugged Trail TA on my daily driver (Toyota 4x4)and they do pretty well.

**DONOTDELETE** 10-23-2002 09:57 AM

You think Jeeps slide around? HA! Try driving a SAMURAI all winter! Now, if you want to do some sliding... [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] hehe

Olin18 10-23-2002 10:03 AM

MTs are generally NOT good in the snow. They are good if you are trail riding in deep snow, but on hard pack they are down right BAD. Good snow tires are soft, flex, and have small voids but a lot of them. Running wide MTs on a jeep in the winter will result in a lot of time spent in the ditch.
I am going to run studded snows on my Waggie this winter... Bring it on !!

**DONOTDELETE** 10-23-2002 10:11 AM

Would BFG All Terrains be good in snow though? I don't want to invest in special SNOW tires. I'm poor! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] lol

NHCJ7 10-23-2002 10:29 AM

BFG all terrains do very well in the snow, and contrary to Olin18 mud terrains do too. The trick with either is to keep them narrow. Like in mud, wide tires will skim across the surface. Most mud tires are also advertised as snow tires since the traction principle is similar with mud or snow, clean out the voids easily and cut through to solid ground. A/T do well on pavement in winter because they self clean well and the extra rubber gives you a better contact patch for traction in wet slippery conditions. For the best winter specific traction, go with an all terrain tire with some siping. Siping is the little slits made in the rubber that help stop (and go) on icy surfaces. I've seen people add siping to tires with a heated knife, but I'm sure that'll cut your mileage down too. (sorry didn't mean the pun [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img])

The cheapest option is to keep the tires you have and get a set of tire chains for when it's really bad.

FatBoyRob 10-23-2002 10:50 AM

No snow yet in this part of Canada. Heck we haven't even had a frost, but I expect one tonight.

As far as tires go - I run GY MT/R's - on the street they are great in snow very little or no loss of traction, no matter how messy the roads are. Off-road in the snow is a different story, they don't do so hot, however, I don't 'froad much in the winter, too busy at work.

If you are thinking about chains, check the regulations in your area, round here they are illegal, but in other parts of the country you aren't allowed on some roads without them.

Rob

CJ7Taz 10-23-2002 01:09 PM

I usually don't have much trouble in the snow, don't need 4wd. I've run several brands of AT, liked Generals best, others slid around too much on rain wet pavement.

On one occasion, it had snowed over freezing rain and after driving a mile or so, I felt 4wd might be a good idea. I had to stop to fill the tank, so while the gas was pumping, I locked both front hubs and got on I-70. After only a couple miles, I began thinking that it was worse in 4wd than in 2wd. Then it hit me, I'd never shifted the transfer case [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img], I was pushing the front tires. I took the next exit, shifted the t-case into 4wd and then I had no further problems.

Pog 10-23-2002 04:23 PM

We have only got a few flakes but nothing accumalated [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
I ran my m/t last year and They get real slick on ice but in snow they were fine But this year I am gonna try 31 a/t hoping to keep the miles down on the m/t. I find the front locks up real easy in any wet/snowy/icy situation. I can't wait for some deep stuff so I can make my own trails [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]