O/T - Subura died and will not start :( - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

O/T - Subura died and will not start :(

Sorry for the O/T post, but the Subaru board is dead! Anyway, last week, I was driving my Subaru to school and it died. I had the stereo up, so I couldn't tell if it made any noises. A few days afterwards, and friend and I got around to tearing it open a little bit. We cranked it over and watched the carb...it shot gas straight up. So we pulled that and rebuilt it. Boy did it need it! Anyway, we got that back on tonight, but still no dice. We pulled a plug wire to check for spark, and there is none. I haven't seen for my own eyes, but I trust my buddy. So where do I go from here? What could be going on? Where do I start? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 06:50 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: O/T - Subura died and will not start :(

If it cranks, but you have not spark then it could be the coil, that is what I would check next.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 09:00 AM

There should be a power wire going to the distributor cap - check that. Mine lost spark and I realized that it was only the line that came undone. Check all lines going in and out of the distributor - something could have came loose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 12:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Have you pulled the cap to see if the rotor is actually turning? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] That is, to eliminate a timing chain/belt issue?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Olin18 - What would be the best way to test the coil?

dmaciag - How do I check the wire? Just make sure it's connected?

GeeAea - I'll have to check to see if the rotor is turning. I'll probably need another person to help, but I'll check.

Thanks for the help guys! I don't have a ton of free time to work on this, but I'll see what I can find. Let me know about the things I asked and I'll check it out. Thanks again!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Well, I got good news, and I got bad news. The good news is, I found my problem [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] The bad news is, it's the timing belt(s). [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Any body got some tips before I tear into it?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 02:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Ah ...see I jinxed you [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Anyway ....unless the Surbaru is like only a couple of other engines out there ...plan on pulling the heads as well (broken belt ...rotating crank ...open valves) [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

YOU DID JINX ME!! So since it's technically your fault, you have to drive over here and help me fix it [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] J/K. I called an Independant Subaru shop yesterday and he said the same thing as you, that's it's probably the timing belt and to check to make sure the rotor is spinning. Anyway, I picked his brain for a bit and asked if my head is trashed since the piston probably smashed my valves. He said, "Nope". He said that Subaru was smart and that they have just enough clearance as to where it won't smash the valves. I'll maybe confirm this with another shop, but that makes me happy. I got it somewhat torn down today, but am having a HELL of a time getting the crankshaft puller bolt out. I got a 22mm socket on there with a large breaker bar, and so far, all I've managed to do was to back the car up my driveway cause I'm yanking so hard. These Japanesse cars don't have a left hand thread crank bolt, do they? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode