Wanted advice and opinions/ engin/tranny upgrade - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
pig

Wanted advice and opinions/ engin/tranny upgrade

I have an84 CJ7 the 6 popper took a dump , I have aquired a 304and a 350 Chevy ,a th3504x4trans ,a NP203 transfer case for sale. Also have 2- 258,s in need of rebuild from carb to oil pan for sale CHEAP. I have 2-T176 trannys, 2dana 300transfer cases, Im picking up a t18 out of 77 ford P/U with 2 wheel drive this weekend . Im also looking for and going to aquire a dana 44 front and rear. I have over 25 years experience as a toolmaker and limited access to machine shop machines. Ive had my jeep for about 3 years now . and love to play in the mud. I live in a suburb of Clevelaan Ohio And like most other people I have a tight budget. Im looking for any tech data and especially blueprints. as a side note while repairing the radiator on my 89 chevy van I found that the fan shroud fits my CJ like it was made for it ! Id appreciate any feedback since Im going nuts with all my options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 10:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Wanted advice and opinions

Both engines complete you got? I'd say if either needs rebuilding I'd go with the 350... Alot of people here are yet again biased with taking out a jeep engine and putting in a chevy. Why not go bigger axles if your still looking for some? Bigger is better. Your going to want to upgrade more in the long run may as well do it now right? As for the tranny... your choice. IMO - chevy and bigger axles. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
pig

both engines complete. Im thinking about runing the 304 till I get all the stuff for the chevy setup since it'll take a while to come up with the cash for the complete chevy conversion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 11:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Then drop in the 304... should be almost a direct boltin. What kind of axles are you wanting to run? [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
pig

I currentlly have the stock axles however Im going to get dana 44's or something killer! Im going to look at a Comanchee this weekend at the local bone yard .I beleive theyre D 44's. Id like to use as close to direct bolt in's as I can with out paying an arm and a leg, Maybe Id pay a rib fer 'em
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 11:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What are you looking to spend on axles? There is about a hundred people around my area selling some hella axles for cheap. If I would have the money I would get them. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
pig

I can get them here for 200.00 each
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 09:31 PM
Official Historian

Comanchee (sp) might have a dana 44 rear but most likely it will be a dana 35. The front will be a high pinion dana 30. For dana 44's, you want to look at full-size jeeps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode