Turn Signal for CJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Turn Signal for CJ

I am having trouble with my turn signal working. I have a 78' cj-7 and I just put in a new turn signal assembly and also a new flasher, I also reconnected and assured my grounds. What is next to do? My marker lights turn off on the left side when I turn the switch to left and same on the right side. ?? Where should I go from here?

Jeeprugger~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 10:34 PM

Re: Turn Signal for CJ

On some vehicles the side marker are suppose to flash with the turn signals. They will flash opposite the turn signals meaning the marker lights will be on when the turn signals are off and vice versa (I hope that makes sense). Without knowing what year you have and a wiring diagram can't say what to check.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 05:44 AM

The side marker and signal lights are wired in parallel. They're supposed to work together. So what is your system not doing? Do the lights come on but not blink or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 09:03 AM
Official Curmudgeon

I can't say about every vehicle made, but I do know how the side markers work on my CJ, same as a lot of others.

Each front side marker is a single filament bulb. It is wired with one lead to the turn signal power and one lead to the power for the parking light, it has no ground. The front parking/turn signal uses a dual filament bulb each filament provided with a power source and a common ground. If the parking lights are on, the side marker lamp gets power on that wire from the parking lamp power. The other side connected to the turn signal becomes a series circuit to ground with the turn signal filament in the front parking/turn signal bulb. The side marker, being much smaller wattage, glows while the second filament in the parking/turn signal does not.

In a similar fashion, when the turn signal comes on, the side marker gets its power from the turn signal circuit and becomes in series with the front parking lamp filament for the source to ground and flashes WITH the front turn signal.

Now, if the parking lights are on, using the front turn signal filament for a source to ground, and the turn signal comes on, the side marker now looses it source to ground and has 12 volts on each side so it goes out. If the parking lights are on, the side marker flashes OPPOSITE, or alternate, to the front signal, being off when the front turn signal is on and on when the front turn signal is off.

The rear side marker is wired with one wire to the tail light circuit and one wire to ground. It does not flash with the turn signals.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 09:29 AM

I know it sounds simple, but check your connections. I went through a similar thing with my 86. It ended up that when I plugged in the new tail light assembly, there was enough corrosion on the connections that it would fail intermittently. A little contact cleaner and a wire brush and it was all better.

You may also have a short in the wiring where the marker light splices into the harness. The old wiring could also have a break or the insulation could be worn off and getting shorted out that way. Have you checked for power at the turn signal assembly? That would be my next step. It's also possible that you could also have a faulty new assembly.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 09:43 AM

Make sure that you have the Hazzard button out. Seriously, I had the same problem and it was my hazzard button!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 11:24 AM
Official Curmudgeon

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Make sure that you have the Hazzard button out.

[/ QUOTE ]Good point and pushing it in could help the diagnosis.

The hazard flashers are fed by a completely different circuit, different wiring, different flasher, different switch, even different fuse. I believe they become common within the steering column and then use the same wiring through the firewall to the lights. If they work right with the hazard flashers, then the bulbs and wiring are good under the hood to the grille and the problem is in the turn signal circuits to the column.

From your original post, I'm not sure if you have a problem. If the turn signals are not flashing, you may have bought too heavy a duty flasher for it. The flasher is an undersized, auto reset circuit breaker. When the lamps come on they draw current which heats a strip which causes the flasher to open the circuit. When the strip cools, it closes the circuit again. The heavier duty flashers require more current and heat slower. Sometimes it just takes longer and provides a slower flash rate. Others will not heat enough to ever open the circuit.

Your statement, "My marker lights turn off on the left side when I turn the switch to left and same on the right side.", indicates a normal condition assuming that they were previously on with the parking lights.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

THanks for the info... I have put in the same 2 prong flashers, the originals, 550 I think or 552. I tried the hazard lights, but they dont flash either ( and pushed them in). Im gonna go for the corrosion and bad connections which means I need to sharpen my wire strippers, get some connectors and a 12 pack. Thanks for the help guys.. Myrtle Beach JeepRugger~
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 05:58 PM
Official Curmudgeon

As a former electrician and now an electrical engineer, a little advice:

Wait on the 12 pack for the celebration when it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode