Where to buy On Board Air Parts??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Where to buy On Board Air Parts???

Well I did my Hw and know everything I need but don't know where to buy the parts. where can a get a good pressure switch, fittings, hose, check valve, safety switch? thanks Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 08:55 PM

Re: Where to buy On Board Air Parts???

I got all my parts from OSH and Grainger. Might also want to check out onboardair.com [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks for the info. Unless graingers is a lot cheaper I might just order from onboardair.com since they have everything I need. Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 11:08 PM

Brad's prices at onboardair.com are actually pretty reasonable. Plus it's nice to be able to get everything at once. I made a TON of trips to different hardware stores to collect all my parts. Probably would have been cheaper to just order it all at once and be done with it.

Here's my OBA write up if you need more info: www.n2jeepn.com/oba2.htm
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 05:48 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Most of that stuff you could find in a good hardwear store. And for a pressure switch Square D have them cheap. If you are going to be using threaded connections make sure to use some pipe dope, or teflon tape. That will help them stay air tight.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 08:57 AM
Pooh-Bah

Northern tool has a lot of the small parts you need. You can buy a 25 ft air hose and plumb the whole system with barb fittings. They also have kits with quick disconnect couplers and fittings for less than $5.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 09:01 AM
kerns

I finished my system a couple of weeks ago. I got everything from Brad at onboardair.com, Grainger, and the local hardware store. One suggestion is to get quickconnects from Grainger that are universal. They accept any male connector type. They were about $6 each.

Justin
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

All of the brass fitings are only 15-20 i don't think a hardware store would be much cheaper. I was going to pass on the oil/water filter just to save 65 bucks, is it that big of a deal? Then I thought I might rig up something for an air filter and order everything else I need.
I originally was going to use a 10 gallon tank I found for 10 bucks but I think it will be easier just to buy the 2.5 ton.
What are your opinions on size of tank? Is a 2.5 gallon decent? The 10 was going to just mount infront of the gas tank but was really to big. I think that is the ideal mounting spot though. Mike
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 04:39 PM
kerns

I bought my barbed fittings and hose from Brad and had no problems at all. Using good hose is important to avoid blowouts from hot oil in the lines.

Also, I would STRONGLY recommend an oil filter. If you're mounting the compressor vertically it isn't as much of a problem. Mine is horizontal and even with a filter I get a lot of blowby. I am currently fabbing up an oil recovery system to keep the York from starving itself.

I would recommend the 2.5 gallon tank. I mounted mine in front of the fuel tank, right up against the step in the tub bottom. It helps to have the reserve, but it goes quickly when actually filling tires. You definitely have to have the engine running to fill tires for more than a few seconds.

Justin
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

1 last question. I was getting my list of parts ready to order but didn't know if I needed the Unloader (check valve). My engine runs the compressor so I don't need it according to the site. However I thought this kept the air from coming back out the line and leaking? If I want to have the air stay in the tank while it is not running don't I need it ? thanks Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode