Parking Brake Recall - FUBAR (Language Warning) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Parking Brake Recall - FUBAR (Language Warning)

Yeah...so I took my YJ down to the local "5-Star" dealer to have the parking brake assembly done on it.
This was at 10 this morning...fast forward 5 hours...I go down to pick it up and they ever informative service advisor tells me "You need another part, it's on order but you'll have to come back in a few days."
Then walks off..... [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
I do realize that they aren't able to rape me on charges since it is a recall...so this is where the bad attitude comes in. But at least have the damn decency to tell me which "part" I need.

Anyway, I had the slightly more pleasent cashier get my paperwork gathered up and had one of the lot boys bring my YJ around.
She ran through all the things that were "wrong" that they found.
Busted motor mounts really pissed me off...I only have one busted one...and it's the 3rd replacement I've had on it since I got this thing in April. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

So finally I get out to the parking area where my YJ is and I discover what part I'm missing -

The damn parking brake lever...so I have no parking brake at all until the jokers at the dealer decide to get off their asses and fix this the right way.
Why they couldn't have told me on Thursday when I made the appointment that they didn't have anything in stock is beyond me.... [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 07:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: Parking Brake Recall - FUBAR (Language Warning)

That's a joke!! What's even more a joke is the fact that they're recalling these up to 10 years later. WTF? I got my paper in the mail yesterday telling me my '93 YJ has an e-brake that pops off......well no sh!t Sherlock! I'm going to try and find some time to get mine fixed, being as the old lever is broke already
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 07:57 PM

I wouldn't take my jeep to the dealer for anything any more, after they raped me over 2 grand for a new radiator, trans re-build and new tps. If it has a recall i may see if i can get the dealer to just give me the part. I really don't let a shop touch my jeep unless i need something i can't do (only thing other people have done were the trans re-build and having my 8.8 brackets welded on), but most of the time i do it with a buddy helping. If you have a modified rig i wouldn't let them touch it since most dealer monkeys are reatards (i don't mean to insult any mechanics on the board, just my oppinion of most of them, there are some good ones out there). If you do need some one to do work on your rig find a shop you trust to do the work since dealers rape you blind.

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 08:02 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Solve the problem the easy way. Install a CJ floor ebrake pedal and i bet you wont have anymore problems.

Ok i am thinking about this now. The YJ does have the ebrake between the seats, right?????

I really hate dealer bashing. I worked for a dealer for a couple of years. And what is happening with your sitution probably is the tech took apart your ebrake, found out that something else was bad, that wasnt supposed to be bad, and didnt come in the ebrake recall kit. Your jeep is 10 years old now, so the dealer doesnt carry the parts anymore. So what happens is it will take a day or two for them to get the part and then it will get fixed at that time. Them telling you about your motor mounts was just that you need them changed. Its how they make there money. So what if they said both were bad. Most people change both at the same time even if one it bad.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

All I've been able to afford so far is a Posi-Lok so I could get rid of the non-working vacuum disconnect..beyond that it's still stock.
No, on the YJ's it's a pedal that bolts to the firewall.
It's to the left of the clutch pedal.....

As for the motor mounts..
I'm newly unemployed so $30 for a mount is a luxury I can't really afford at the moment, and as long as I can get myself to and from interviews, that's all that really matters right now.
Personally, I wouldn't let the monkeys down there do anything to my baby any. I specifically told the service advisor that no work beyond the recall was to be done for any reason because I don't want to walk down there to pick it up and be slammed with a $300 only to pull my wallet out and have nothing but moths to show. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 11:13 PM

What exactly is the recall on the YJ parking brake? As far as I know, the early YJ's had the exact same e-brake setup as the late CJ's. Same pedal, same location, same everything.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 01:28 AM

Better yet.. does this Ebreak problem apply to '89 versions? and if so do I have to wait for a recall which is never coming... (how would they know I have a Jeep.) and can I just got and get it?

I was wondering how my car rolled down a hill into a fence that one day. I could have sworn I put the ebreak on.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 05:31 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Does anyone have the years for the recall? Do oversized tires void it?
Since I put the 33s on my jeep the Ebreak doen't even hold in my flat parking area. If I brought it in for a recall would they fix the break IE adjust the actual breaks in the rear, or would all they do is replace the stuff in under the dash. Thanks for any info. Jeep hasn't gotten a hold of me because I got my YJ used. Thanks
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 07:35 AM
Old Hand

Originally posted by : Infernozx </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
(how would they know I have a Jeep?)

[/ QUOTE ]
You need to go the Chrysler dealer and have them check your Jeep for missed recalls and they will enter it into their computer system that you are the owner of the Jeep. Then if anymore come up you'll get a notice in the mail.
OHH.. BTW.. Infernozx , Your <font color="blue">JEEP</font color>! is not a <font color="red">CAR</font color>! [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I got my notice and went down to my local Chrysler dealer and let them know I got my recall and they ordered the part now I'm waiting for them to let me know when it arrives so I can schedule an appointment to get the work done. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

EDIT>> The recall covers 1990 through 1995 model year Jeep Wranglers.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 08:15 AM
Can't Get Enough

If you really feal you are being shafted by the dealer on this, contact chrysler complaint resolution. Not sure of the exact department, but sart calling the corp. headquarters Let the corp. people put the pressure on the dealership. The dealership knows it will not last very long if complaints start coming in from dissatisfied owners. At least it worked very well with a GM dealership complaint.

Just make sure you really have a beef, and are not just making noise on this board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode