Intermitent sticky oil rings - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 05:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Intermitent sticky oil rings

Hey all I'm new around these parts but it sure looks like a good place with good helpfull people any help will sure be appreciated. To the point.

I bought a 80 CJ7 with a 304 V8 that had been sitting for 10 years. The guy that had it had some temperture problems when he parked it and he thought he had a blown head gasket so the price was pretty good. First thing I did was pull the radiator and take it to the rad shop and sure enough it was completely stopped up.. no head gasket problem. So I replace the entire fuel system and fire it up. Kewl it ran good no smoking with some intermitent lifter noise(ah life is good). So I did a 2.5 inch lift to make room for some new sneakers and other stuff and suddenly the darn thing started smoking and the exahaust pipe becomes wet with oil. So I did two engine flushes with Berrymans and Gunk but it was still smoking. I then sent it to a "pro mechanic" for lockers and solid axels(thats another long sad story) and shazam when it came back it had stopped smoking and the exhaust pipe was dry and a nice charcoal gray color. The axel guys had not touched the engine so it just sort of happened (life is good again).
One tank of gas and bam it's smoking again. Ive run marvel in the crank case, seafoam down the carb in the fuel and in the crank case and currently have BG's decarboner in the fuel. It runs good but after a while it fouls the two rear plugs on the left bank. Any Ideas appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 05:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Intermitent sticky oil rings

valve seals?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 08:15 PM
Pog

I agree with ^^ sounds like valve seals but all that special oil additive stuff won't help seals so I would replace then easily done with out removing heads. I always liked the tranny fluid trick for sticky rings it had always worked for me. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 08:24 PM
Way Outta Control

Could be valve seals. I think I'd check the PCV valve and
hoses before anything. If it's plugged it presurizes the
crankcase, forcing oil up past the rings and down the valve
guides.

Clean the PCV valve squeaky clean make sure the hoses are not
plugged - some spider might have made a nice home in them.

All those chemicals (engine in a can) dilute the oil and wash
it off the cyl walls too.

Oil rings don't usually come and go.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 07:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Could be, I get a heck of a shot of smoke when I first start it then it settles down for a while until it is good and warm then the smoke comes on.

Thanks
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 07:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The PCV valve is one thing I have not checked. I hate to admit this but I've been looking for it in the valve cover. Not... (recent research)it's in the intake and I believe I recall that there is a terminal end of a spark plug stuck into a vacuum line just aft of the carburetor in the intake.(this is offroad only and all the emmissions stuff has been de-connected) Maybe thats it.

Thank's much
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 07:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know the valve seals are sort of shot by the amount of smoke on a cold start but I did'nt think they would let that much oil pass to foul plugs.

I'd like to replace them. Briefly how tough a job is that?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 09:55 AM
Keyboard Implanted

It's not too bad. You need access to compressed air and have a spark plug connector. You loosen the rocker arms (I'm uncertain what's on your motor ..the "bridged" rocker arms??) and use a special (simple really) or fabbed lever that you can use the bolt (you may need to get a stud to fit in there) as a fulcrum and you push the valve spring down (there's a hole in the lever to allow the valve stem and keeper to poke through while you push the spring/retainer down) ...remove keepers ..spring etc. ...put on new seal ..reverse process. Occasionally a tap with a hammer is required to get things free ..and a post reassembly tap to make sure everthings is seated correctly is also typically recommended.

The compressed air keeps the valve from dropping into the cylinder (the cylinder that you're working on will go to BDC from the compressed air).

I've only done this on a SBC ..but it's a piece of cake after you do the first one or two valves assuming that there are no access challenges as in the height of the vehicle or stuff getting in the way in the engine compartment. I believe the tool is commonly available a most NAPA stores on one of those rotating part/tool racks.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 09:52 PM
Official Historian

Here's LEVE's clever way to change valve seals too:

In case you don't want to use compressed air... here's how I do it painlessly:

1. Buy some soft 1/8" cotton rope.
2. Remove the spark plugs.
3. On Cylinder Number one find the start of the compression stroke.
4. Hand roatate CW the engine untill the pistion is about 3/4 the way up the cylinder.
5. Insert the rope into the cylinder's spark plug hole.
6. Stuff the rope in till you've got as much in as you can.
7. Gently hand rotate the engine CW until the piston has compressed the rope all the way against the valve faces.
8. Now the piston is holding the valves in place, cushioned by the rope.
9. Remove the springs and repalce the seals.
10. Gently hand rotate the engine in CCW so you can remove the rope.
11. Remove the rope.
12. Repeat steps 4 - 11 for the other 7 cylinders.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 11:10 PM
Way Outta Control

Now that's a great idea!

Takes the worry out of the airline coming loose etc.

And - you can leave it like that if you get interruped without worry.

Great!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode