NP231 Trouble - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-07-1999, 09:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

NP231 Trouble

I was driving down the road the other day and Bang a U-Joint broke. Resulting from this and the driveshaft slinging around at high speed the Rear case on my NP231 cracked. I replaced the rear case but I noticed that the output shaft is slightly bent. I can see it wobble slightly as I turn it. Its causing a little wear on the rear extension housing. I need to replace this and I thought I would get a slip yoke eleminator kit. Can anyone tell me how hard it is to do this? Can I remove the old output shaft and install the new one with the transfer case still under the vehicle? Also can anyone recommed a good kit. I drive my jeep daily and I put lots of miles on it. Should I get the $300 kit and get a driveshaft made or should I get the more expensive kit that comes with the CV drive shaft.

Thanks,
Jason

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-08-1999, 11:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: NP231 DIY SYE?

I've never tried that install, but I am interested to see an answer. I'm planning to add a SYE and CV 'shaft when I do the OME lift on my rig next spring. I know I can do the lift install myself, and the other parts that will go with it (extended brake lines, etc), but I've never cracked open a xfer case, so I'm a little leary of trying it myself. So, how hard is it, and can it be done with the 'case still in the vehicle? As far as which kit, I've heard good things about the MIT, Advanced Adapters, and Rubicon Express (only the 'Extreme Duty' version though NOT the standard one). I'll probably go with the MIT myself, and there's a pretty good driveshaft shop here in town, so I'll get my CV from them. I know it's not much help, but it's all I got so far....

-Spyder
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-08-1999, 01:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What is the MIT kit? Where can I get it, what does it consist of and how much $$$?

Thanks,
Jason

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-08-1999, 02:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I copied this from a recent post, it should help.
"M.I.T. Mechcanically Inclined Technicians. 1112 Pioneer Way El Cajon, Ca. 92020 # 619-579-7727. The owners name is Jeff Sugg."

-Spyder
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-08-1999, 06:15 PM
MNT
Addict

Re: NP231 Trouble

i just put in the JB Conversions kit about 3 months ago. I did it while under the Jeep without taking the transfer case out. Just remember to support the tranny or something will end up bent. The JB kit came with good instructions, and I was done in fairly quickly. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Good Luck

MNT
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-09-1999, 12:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: NP231 Trouble

Thanks for the info. For those interested, I have removed the transfer case and disasembled it for the most part. It is accually pretty simple. Remove driveshafts, remove skid plate with a jack under the transmision for support. Remove 8 nuts and disconnect a couple wires & and a hose and the transfer case slides right off. However the top nuts might not be accessible if it wasn't for my 3" body lift (GROSS I know). Anyway tommorrow and next week I'll look for a kit and I'll let you know how putting it back together goes.

-Jason

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode