CJ - Incremental clearance gain to YJ,TJ Flares - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

CJ - Incremental clearance gain to YJ,TJ Flares

My '86 has a 2 1/2 spring lift with a 1" shackle lift. Right now I have 32x11.5 and the backs barely rub when twisted. (No damage, just paint) I am willing to cut, but don't know whether to use YJ flares or TJ. My understanding is YJ flares wont give me as much of a gain, but will give me some. I want to run 33's. I wish I could run 35's. My thinking is if I gained 1 1/2" clearance, I could run 35's and be equivilant to my current set up. (3" bigger tire - 1 1/2" each side)
Could someone please tell me how much I would gain going to YJ flares, and how much more to the TJ flares.

I worry about needing to cut too much going to the TJ flares. I have heard you need to break the spot welds.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 10:05 AM

Re: CJ - Incremental clearance gain to YJ,TJ Flares

Take a look at this link. http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/body/tjflares/
It's an article on how to install the TJ flares. This individual is running 34's according to the article.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 10:10 AM

I used YJ flares and gained about 3 inches. The main benifit I found was that it gives you a bigger wheel well opening, not just higher. I also mounted them as high as possible which gave me a little more room. You will definitely need to cut your body with either TJ or YJ flares. I have a 4" lift and run 35" tires and they still rub a little on full compression. The deciding factor on what size tire is how much flex your suspension has and how much you use it.

There is a good article on installing TJ flares on main Off-Road site. Check out tj flares .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 05:14 PM
BMB
Veteran

How about going with a 1" body lift first? I had 2.5" springs with a 1/2" shackle lift and the 1" body lift and with new 32" tires had no rub in the rear and just a bit of fender flare contact in the front.

I have since put on the rear TJ flares and they add about 3" more clearence to the rear of the body and about a 1/2" towards the top.

For the front I am eventually going to use YJ fenders with the TJ flare. If you use the CJ fender and TJ flare you will have to seperate the inner fender from the rear of the outer fender, cut the inner so it can be "pushed" back and tack weld it in place. This is not absolutely required if you don't need more room in the back of the fender.

I think you would need at least 4" of SUA lift to get close to having good clearence with 35s.

Search for some posts by pbmcauliffe it should give some more ideas.

BMB
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 05:20 PM
Can't Get Enough

TJ flares are the way to go. The rears are much larger than the YJ flares, while the front's are about the same. I measured a set of YJ rear flares against my CJ and they were about the same. You can use YJ flares to gain clearance in the rear, but you have to bend them a little and the top corners. Putting them on the rear is simple, just put them up there, mark them and cut away. The fronts are a little more difficult, but not hard. You do have to cut a few spot welds between the inner fender and the side of the jeep and then push the iner fender back. This allows you to cut the side of the body away so the flare looks somewhat flush. YJ flares are easier to find, but you can get TJ flares off of e-bay or this or other bbs's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode