Cj - SOA/waggy 44 steering question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 08:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cj - SOA/waggy 44 steering question

Wow, it seems like forever since I posted last. Anyways, I have been rather busy on my jeep and have all my outboard spring mounts in place and the springs ready to bolt on. (SOA with regular width waggy axles) My question is about my steering issues. Im not worried about whether or not I'll need a new pitman arm, but rather, is my tie rod going to get in the way of my springs? I have a feeling that the drag link is going to hit the spring when I turn right. I know that if I leave the pinion angle basically flat that the tie rod will be in the way as well. Does anyone know what pinion angle is needed to clear the tie rod? Also, is it a bad idea to weld something on to the top of the knuckle to hook the drag ling to? Has anyone else fixed this problem? Im sure someone has but what is the best way (and hopefully economical way-money is an issue) to do it?
Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 04:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Cj - SOA/waggy 44 steering question

Question:is my tie rod going to get in the way of my springs?

Answer: It is a good idea to have the knuckle reworked on the top to give you a poor mans steering flip. Currie Enterprises does this for 90.00. The steering flip kits can run anywhere from 675.00 and up. (from my experiences)

Question:Also, is it a bad idea to weld something on to the top of the knuckle to hook the drag ling to?

Answer: It is not a good idea to weld to that at all, it is a cast piece not forged and you do not want to try and weld it.

Send your knuckles to currie and have them machine the top to accomodate the tierods. Give them a call I think this raises the steering 3-1/2".
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 05:38 AM
Keyboard Implanted

i would recommend a high steer setup.. you can find some flat top knuckles from a junkyard.. just have a machine shop mill the top.. drill and tap the holes for the studs... and then use some high steer arms.. this will move everything above the springs.. most money is in the arms.. i have a write up on mine.. on the web link below..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 08:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If I can make the stock tie rod work, is there any way to make the drag link work without having to buy the upper arms for the higher high steer? Also, is it possible to make my own arms like the ones you bought? I have access to some machining tools and have some fairly competent friends to help me out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode