Sprit T-5 tranny will it work? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-07-1999, 08:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sprit T-5 tranny will it work?

Ok...I have a 83 CJ-7 with a bad T-5...needs a bunch of money..which i don't have. so im looking to go cheap..

At a "you pull it" place not to far..i find no CJ's...but..there is AMC stuffs out the gazoo....I find here..in some early 80's AMC stuffs... T-4's T-5's ..and SR-4......forget about finding CJ's here...

Anybody out there know if the inputs are the same as in a cj? ...or at least the gear counts inside?...if they are..im gonna do it...there cheap ..the cluster for a T-5 is like 200...hope there the same...
let me know
thanks

dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-07-1999, 08:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Sprit T-5 tranny will it work?

Not sure about the input shaft, but I'll bet the gear ratios are more "street". For instance the Jeep T5 has a very nice 4.03 1st gear, the Camaro T5 has a MUCH taller 1st gear, can't remember the exact ratio, but it makes a T150 look good.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-08-1999, 07:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Sprit T-5 tranny will it work?

I'm not sure how hard it would be to find, but a World Class T5 from a Camaro or Mustang should be a direct replacement. I just replaced my T5 with a WC T5 from Advance Adapters. Pretty expensive though, cost me $1350 plus $100 for shipping from the left coast to the east coast. Believe it or not, the cheapest rebuilt T5 I could find in my area was $1400! So the decision to go with the WC T5 was a not brainer. Why pay $1400 for a rebuilt weak piece of junk when for $50 more I could get a strong brand new tranny?

Anyway, you might want to look for one of these, the WC T5 is a direct replacement with one exception. The input shaft is a 10 spline, 1 1/16" diameter, where the original T5 has a 10 spline, 1 1/8" shaft. You will have to change the clutch disk.

The grear ratios for the WC T5 are: 4:1 1st, 2.37:1 2nd, 1.50:1 3rd, 1.1:1 4th and .83:1 5th

Good luck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode