Off Roading Forums banner

does 88 YJ have an external ballast resistor??>

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  AllLockedUp 
G
#1 ·
I've tried search and can't find anything definitive.

There has not been one on the Jeep since I've owned it, 8 yrs, and it has run fine. Now it will not run.

My crappy Haynes manual shows a cartoon drawing of the coil with a ballast resistor attached to the coil bracket(my bracket has the provsions for the resistor).

I called several parts stores and their computers do not show a ballast resistor for 88 YJ's.

I tested the voltage at the battery, 13.1V, and at the coil with the ignition in the "ON" position, it shows 6.2V.

Does this mean I do not need an external resistor?

Thanks for any info, as I soon as I know I am going to run to the parts store and get a new coil and/or a resistor depending on what answers you guys give me.

Mike

#2 ·
That's not a ballast resistor, it's a type of filter to help stop electronic noise in your radio. I believe they call it a condensor.

Your voltage at the coil is slightly low, should be around 8.7v with the key in run. There is a resistor wire in the coil harness that drops the battery voltage to the coil. So, the answer is "no", because you already have one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.