Another Crazy idea... Naval Jelly & Grease??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Another Crazy idea... Naval Jelly & Grease???

Well I usually get crazy thoughts after a couple of beers, boreddom, or a combination of both. Well the club went out riding yesterday, and down here it is usually very wet in the summer and into the fall months. We had lots of water to play in, but i actually tried to keep myself out, but I couldnt help myself and went to play in the water and mud. Well now I have to go regrease my bearings or at least open them up and get the water out if there is any. And since i have to redo my bearings every 6 months because of rust in them from water , I am thinking about if it is possible to mix some naval jelly with the grease to kind of keep the bearings from rusting. Already i use the synthetic grease and it works great. I was just thinking about maybe that is possible. I dont know what the makke up of naval jelly, but i think it isa an acid, which would probably not be good, at least for the rubber seals anyway. I am wondering if the synthetic grease will be affected by being mixed with naval jelly. Has any chemist type jeepers out there thought of this, am i going off the deep end again, or is this a legitimate thought. Just a thought I will throw out there.

I will go back to the bottle now [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 12:05 PM

Re: Another Crazy idea... Naval Jelly & Grease???

Not too good.

Naval Jelly is pretty concentrated Phosphoric Acid.

Pretty bad stuff for things like Metal, rubber, and skin.

The advantage to the stuff is that it eats rust and turns it into Iron Phosphate -- the same stuff as Gun Blue.....but it also eats the iron to make the iron phosphate. That would destroy bearings even faster.

That stuff is super corrosive -- especially in the presence of things like.... water. Think the 'ole nail in a can of Coke science fair project. Try it out and see what happens to the iron nail.

The stuff we used down there in the Florida swamps when I lived there (2 years ago) was that pink Flamingo grease. It is pretty good for water resistance.

Best regards

John
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 12:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

have you thought about trying Marine Grade Grease? Always heard that if you're gonna play in the wet stuff a lot, that the Marine grease fights water better than the rest.

Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I use to use that pink Flamingo, but it became real scarce to find. I went over to the mobil one synthetic and it doea a real good job, but i guess maintenance is the best method.

I only have used naval jelly about 6 years ago, and i forogt what it was really made of. I have used that gun metal De-bluing and let me say when it says don't let it come in contact with the spring. Lets say that thing real flung, luckily nobody was around and it didnt injure anything.

John, I keep forgetting you are a florida boy. If you remember the haunts around here, we went out and rode the Yucca Pens yesterday out in Cape Coral, and hopefulyl we are going to Bad Luck prairie in a month or two, when it dries out enough, that you dont need a buggie to get out there. They are trying to close down the prairie, but we are helping out the sportmans clubs who want to get it open. Alot is going on down here. So much is getting built. When was the last time you were down this end?

So I guess I will stay away from the naval jelly [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
So I will have to just pulle the wheel and give em a good cleaning.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 05:21 PM
I Do This For The Glory

That Marine Grease sucks, I stopped using it years ago. Now I'll only use the Mobil-1 grease, or something synthetic, it's leaps and bounds above anything else. I have torn down the bearings after 6-9 months and found the grease to still be intact and useable, no water visible.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 09:35 PM

I moved up out of FL about two years ago. Now I am living up in the Frozen Tundra of South Carolina. It is already getting cold here, and my cold-blooded Florida body needs hot weather to keep warm.

I still am not used to the whole "Cold weather" thing up here, and the "Rain all winter" still gets me. Of course, it really does not rain here like it did there -- just slow and drizzly. I have not seen a monsoon like we got every day down there all summer long here yet.

I must say that I miss the mud holes and fun in the dunes. The sad part is that they were getting fewer and fewer. The rocks here are fun, and the wet red clay is not like anything I saw down there -- It is like a cement hillside with grease all over it.

I am from Stuart, which is on the East coast down by Palm Beach. I ran in the swamps in Ft. Pierce and in Vero lots. I got to play out in Jupiter Farms a couple of times, but not too often. It was just too much of a drive.

One guy I ran with had installed grease ports on his hubs. He would give them a couple of pumps every time he went out. Not sure if it really helped too much, but he had plenty of grease in those hubs.

That Flamingo was what people there use for waterproof, and we got it at local Napa stores. Some of the local Autozones would carry it too. I tried out that blue marine grease too. It seemed to work just fine -- and the change intervals on any of that stuff was like months if not sooner.

Best regards

John
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 11:55 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Do not overgrease your hubs, they won't work properly. I use ATF in mine, but it gets REALLY cold up here by comparison, no problem with water, it turns to ICE before it gets anywhere.

That being said, here is a pic of a hub with the grease fitting on it. It's stock on a '72 commando.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode