Got the 8.8 now I need brakes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 09:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Got the 8.8 now I need brakes

I picked up my rearend off of a 97 exploder this weekend and now I need to get all the brake hardware. Would it be best to just go to the junk yard for the calipers and buy a rebuild kit for them, or get reman. claipers from napa or some other place??

Planning on getting new rotors and pads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 03:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Got the 8.8 now I need brakes

I hope you didnt pay much for that rear without the brake parts. The explorer brake kit is about 450 bucks. Most yards wont take the brake parts off unless they have a bent rear.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 04:31 PM

i got my 8.8 w/ brakes on it for $250 from a yard in good shape and i just cut down the rotars so i can't really help you with that though you might want to try picking up another rear cheep to use for brakes and spare shafts. What i can tell you is i used d35 hard lines and 2 pass side soft lines and it worked well though we did fill the original vent hole and drill another.

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 08:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The parking brakes are all there with the brackets and backing plates. All I need is the calipers and rotors with new pads and probably new shoes for the e-brake. It was 200.00. I thought it was a decent deal but now am wondering.

The brakes lines you are takling about...are the 2 passenger side soft lines from the d35 too or do you use the lines from the 8.8?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 12:11 PM
Veteran

Get two 8.8 pass. side soft lines and a short piece of hard line to run it into the stock T on the driver side. The 8.8 soft line is a female end, so is the T, so you'll need the short hard line to connect them. You should be able to find used rotors and loaded calipers at some yards and if they look good they'll work just fine. The yard I got my 8.8 cuts the calipers off and sells them to a remanufacturer so I went to another yard where they cut a pair of calipers off for me. Go figure. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] By the way, if you want e-brakes make sure you get a decent and cheap set of used e-brake shoes also cuz they're dealer only item at $100 a pair! [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 02:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

that's odd about the e-brake shoes....I was at Advance auto parts last night and they had a price for two different grades of parking brake shoes. I wonder what they were that he gave me a price for then. I know they were under 20 bucks though.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 04:54 PM

I used 2 pass side soft lines and then my stock tj hard lines. For e-brake cables i've herad zj cables work well though i don't know for sure since my e-brake isn't hooked up and the parts are sitting in a bag in my garage.

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode