loose hub bolts revisited - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

loose hub bolts revisited

Done the searches, also asked about this a year and a half ago when my stock 5 bolt locking hubs bit the dust. Bought Superwinch hubs and used grade 8 bolts. Thought I was all set. Tightened them up properly and they are coming loose all the time under load. I can't find wave washers like the factory used, split washers will chew up the aluminum hubs, and all the studs I could find in town were grade 5, made for manifolds and the sort. Bought some long set screws, but was too chicken to try them.

Anyone that can recommend a proper washer to use under the head of the bolts on the hubs? That factory washer was unique, and no one has them.

Anyone using grade 5 studs and had success? Can't find grade 8 studs.

I was pulling a trailer with a ton of wood thru the woods over the weekend and had the hub bolts loosen up twice. I know that sheared bolts or damaged hubs is just around the corner. I'm glad I discovered the loosened bolts before any harm was done.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 10:28 AM
Official Historian

Re: loose hub bolts revisited

I have superwinch hubs too and my bolts came loose even with lock washers. I have 6 bolt hubs but used the black studs from the parts store. I guess they are grade 5, I don't know. I only put them on the side that came loose so far but they are working fine for me.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 12:40 PM
Nickmil

Grade 5 studs will work fine. The hub body will come apart before the studs break if installed correctly. Run a tap
down the bolt holes and clean the threads and holes thoroughly with spray brake cleaner, then use Red Loc-tite on the
threads where they go into the hub. Then use aircraft style pinch nuts or if you have room, ny-lock nuts to retain the hub.
I did this years ago on my '59 front and rear (built a ff kit before Warn had one) and have not had a problem since. Nickmil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the confirmation on the grade 5 studs. Easy to find. Did you use any kind of washer under the nuts? There's not much room and I would have to grind some off the edge of any washer to fit it in there. I hate to tighten the nut up against a soft metal like aluminum.

Tim
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 02:40 PM
Official Historian

Here's a shot of my stud replacement for the hub bolts. I used 3/8" studs that are coarse thread on one side and fine thread on the other and used lock washers.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 05:25 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I also used grade 5 studs and had no problems with loosening. I used regular washers as well, and found the studs at NAPA.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 08:50 PM
BMB
Veteran

You also might look into Schnorr washers, that is a brand/type name.

Desscription: "These safety washers are in the form of a disc spring which is serrated on both sides and of trapezoidal cross section. Their diameters are matched to screw dimensions. The outer diameter of the washer is matched to the head diameter of pan-head and hexagon socket head cap screws. As a result, the safety washer can be used with practically any screw and bolt type, including those with rescessed heads. The only exception are countersunk screws."

BMB
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 09:33 PM

Grade 5 studs are fine. Grade 5 3/8" bolts have a proof load of 6600 lbs and a tensile strength of 9300 lbs. Grade 2 is 4250 and 5730 and grade 8 are 9300 and 11620. Anyway-grade 5 are more than enough. The hubs are weaker than that. Reiterate use locktight after cleaning the threads and the best locking nuts are called "Radially deformed, prevailing torque lock nuts-three points". These have three points around the crown causing downward deflection of the top threads. It is basically a metal crimp of the threads. They can be retorqued 3-5 times before loosing strength versus once for nylocks. There is a two point version also, but not as good, called Stover nuts-again good only once. Get the studs and these nuts and grade 5 flat washers and you should not have any more fastener trouble, the hubs will probably fail first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode