Dana 35 Questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 06:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dana 35 Questions

I have some questions about my recently destroyed Dana 35.
OK, Long story short. Rear locks up at 40 mph, ring, pinion, and spiders destroyed. After disassembling the whole thing I find out that the surface of the carrier to which the ring gear bolts to has a runout of about .009 inches. The carrier has a couple of scrapes and small dents. Is the runout to much to still be usable? When the new ring gear is bolted to the carrier will that pull some of the runout out of the carrier? Am I just being overly cautious? Are there any tips or tricks I should know about when installing gears and a Lock-Right in my Dana 35. Any help will be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 07:33 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Dana 35 Questions

I would put the new ring gear on first and see if it still has runout. Actually i would just find a 44 or i dont like them but alot of guys are running the explorer 8.8's.

If you havent setup gears before. Have someone that has done them help you. The tools cost a good amount. Most shops get around 200 to 350 to setup a ring and pinion. And you cant buy the tools for under that.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 06:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm not really worried about the installation. I've done (helped) install gears in an 8.8, and I have all of the tools. I'm assuming that the installation of gears in the Dana is almost the same. What would be an acceptable amount of runout on the carrier after the ring is bolted in place? Would .005 be too much. Runout in the carrier will affect the backlash on different sides of the ring gear right? I wish that a 44 or even a 60 was an option. My brother and I are in the process of building a 60 for his CJ. The size differance between the carriers in the 60 and 35 is amazing.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 07:10 AM
Keyboard Implanted

When you buy a set of gears the instructions noramlly say between 8 to 12 for backlash. So as long as it stayed in that area you should be fine.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 07:56 AM
Veteran

Runout will most likely effect backlash but ultimately you need to measure the backlash on all four sides on the ring gear and if it's within spec you should be good to go. I'd also go with the Ford 8.8 though, the D35 not even worth the time it takes to melt it down. My 8.8 just laughs at all the terrain where others demolish D35s with great regularity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode