'03 Wrangler Rubicon - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 10:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

\'03 Wrangler Rubicon

I have just ordered a new Rubicon, The main gripe as i read it is the clearance. What would the best suspension lift be to run 33x12.50x15 and also keep it under warranty,other then the air lockers only working in 4 low, I'm pretty jazzed. Thanks, vcjeepers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 12:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: \'03 Wrangler Rubicon

You better read that warranty good, I bet you aren't allowed to lift them. I think Rubicon Express is the only way to go with a TJ, pricey but very good.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 12:50 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Actually, if the warranties anything like it is with other DC cars, you should be ok. You can lift it, but if you break something and it's possible the suspension is the cause, they'll just void that portion of it. Like if your motor decides to grenade, and you got a lift kit, you should be fine. But if you got a lift kit and your axleshaft snaps, you'd probably be SOL'd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 09:38 AM
Can't Get Enough

I have seen posts here on the outrageous price of the new Rubicon. I just saw an ad from one of the local jeep dealers that is selling them for 23,999. Still pretty pricey, but a lot better than the 27-29k range others were talking about.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 05:13 PM
Keyboard Implanted

any one know why the lockers can only be used in 4low?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 06:07 PM
Old Hand

That's the same as Ryan's (lumpy85) TRD Tacoma was, 4lo only, and he said they took about 60 seconds to engage. Hopefully the rubicon's aren't the same.

As for the lift, I've been pretty happy with my 4" teraflex (the "S4T system" that comes with the flex arms). Good ride and flex.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 04:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

From what i have been hearing you are going to have a hard time to find a lift kit to fit it. I have already heard that the tera flex kit will not fit. I think that the suspension kits do void drive train warranties and I will check at work to be sure. It may be as said a partial void.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 05:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That is the safety measure that chrysler came up with so people would not try and drive around with the lockers engaged on the highway etc.....some people would not use it in the correct manner. As much as we would like to think they do not design these for wheelin but for the ocassional bit of offroad driving..... well you know what I mean.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 07:55 AM
85Jeepny

this is a little different but I've got a 93 Land Cruiser with factory electric lockers front and rear, they only take about 5 seconds to engage....so 60 seconds on the Tacoma sounds REALLY long. I haven't tried the lockers out of 4 Low so I don't know if thats an option. My guess is taht they did it so people don't turn them on going like 55 or something stupid because they see ice...could be some sort of legal safety issue....

my guess is that there is a "WAY" around it....of course voiding your warranty and possibly screwing up the locker may not be a good enough reason to want to attempt this [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 10:00 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I've got a question on the lockers... are they air lockers or electric? I have an article that says they are air actuated by 5 psi or air pressure, but my buddy that just got some Rubi axles (long story don't ask), has had the tech guys at Jeep and other tell him it's electric. I asked him if there was an air suppy tube coming out of the axle or if there is an electical hook up. he said there is only one hole wich is the breather and there is an electic plug looking deal on it. That's telling Electic locker, but the article I have specifically states Air locker.... WTF [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Anyone know for sure?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode