Locker Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 05:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Locker Question

I'm new to the 4x4 world. I recently got my lisence and bought a 1995 Jeep Wrangler. It's a 4 cyl. 5-speed with 31" tires and everything is stock. Anyway, today was my first time on the trail and I got stuck in a rut and only my front right and my rear left spun. A buddy of mine told me that installing a locker will help my off road ablity greatly. Can someone tell me what type of locker you recomend. The jeep is still used as a daily driver, I will be driving it back and forth to school everyday. Thanks alot for all your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 05:59 PM

Re: Locker Question

Well if you want the best of both worlds an arb or ox is the way to go, but then again those are the most expensive. I would probably just put a lockrite f&r because they are inexpensive and aren't bad on the road.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 07:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was looking through my JC Whiney catalog and I found the Powertrax Lock Right system. It says that its very easy to install, performs great on and off road and only $260. Does anyone own or have ever driven a Jeep with one of these in? If so how did it perform? Is it worth it? Also, I'm not sure if I have open or limited-slip differentials. Thank you all for your help and sorry for all the stupid questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 09:32 PM
Old Hand

Just getting into off-roading I would not suggest a locker as your first upgrade.

First you should wheel a couple more times to make sure you want to continue doing so, and then if you still like to wheel you can upgrade..

Many guys will disagree on what the first upgrades should be.. I think a Hi-Lift Jack, and a tow strap are among the first things I would get [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Since that's not much money next I would suggest a lift, and longer shocks to accomodate the lift.

Wheel it more, and see if your still having trouble in the same spot..

What tires are you running? The wrong tires will make you loose traction .. of course.. maybe getting a set of BFG M/T (since it's your daily driver and your just getting into it) the BFG are practicaly silent on the road, and produce great results off-road in the rocks, dirt, sand and mud.. I think they are the best all around off-road / street tire combo!

Wheel it and have fun then whatever you brake fix it, and upgrade what NEEDS upgrading at the start.. from there you will get tons of ideas on what you want done [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 10:48 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of wheel`in. I`ve had Lockrights front and rear in my CJ since I bought it. They`ve worked great offroad, But on the street the rear was a little noisy,(only around corners). I even had people comment they thought I had a busted rear end. I recently up-graded to a Dana 60 rearend and put in one of the Powertrax No-slips,( same maker of the Lockright) and I`ve yet to hear any sound from it. The only reason I bought the No-slip was I could`nt get my hands on a 35 spline Lockright at the time. If the ratchet sound won`t bother you go with the Lockright, they work great offroad and the price is right. Be aware though that having a locking differential on pavement is quite different than your stock open diff. You need to exercise caution in rain, snow, icy, conditions or you`ll end up sideways in a hurry. Good luck with your new toy, your going to love it. Rich
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 08:44 AM
Official Historian

I've had them front and rear for two years now. They are holding up fine with 33" tires and an AMC 360.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 01:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You need to search this forum on lockers and see if your ready for them; off-road you will, on-road probably not. As a first mod. this is a big step but it's one of the best first steps you can do. A stock Jeep on 31" MT tires locked f/r will go places you wouldn't believe [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img], if you don't get the lockers then get a winch or full rollcage, best money you can spend on a Jeep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode