Rusty fuel tank problems? New tank questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Rusty fuel tank problems? New tank questions

Rusty fuel tank problems? New tank questions

I had the jeep way the heck out in the middle of no where deer hunting yesturday and had a break down. A major pain in the ass. We actually broke a U joint on hte rear drive line first, then we were trying to limp back to the nearest NAPA to get a ujoint when the fuel pump quit. We had one hell of a journey getting back to town. Between two tows up hill and about 10 miles of coasting down hill, then my buddy sitting on the fender dripping gas into the carb with water bottle, we finally made it back to the main highway wher we hitched another tow back to town. Then the small NAPA did not have the fuel pump, or filter, or the u joints. SO... This being the second fuel pump and third filter in about a year, I think it is time for a new tank. I am tierd of pouring rust out of my cloged filter or pump.

So my question is what are my options? I think want a plastic tank, or some other alternative that will keep the rust down. I have been looking at tanks in $WD hardwarde and they are around $200 for the 20gal plastics. I would also like to increase the capacity of the tank. Are their any junk yard options that dont take to much custom fabrication. I do plan on replacing my gauges soon so if I had to change to a different sender and gauge it would probably be okay.

What do you all think?

Thanks very much
Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 01:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Rusty fuel tank problems? New tank questions

I'd say get a nice fuel cell.. a buddy of mine has a new one for sale from Summit. If you want it let me know I will pass it on. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 03:09 PM
M38

how well did dripping it into the carb work anyways

just wondering

clint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

dripping it in to the carb worked great, we would only get about a 100yard burst then have to drip more before it died, but it worked.

how will I mount the fuel cell, and what about gauge compatability?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 04:37 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Well, I've had the rusty tank problems too. I replaced the OEM tank with a metal 4wdhardware tank and it lasted about 7-8 years and then rusted from the inside out. Got the 4wdhardware plastic tank, took it out three times trying to get it to seal or replaceing the sender, cause I beat up on it trying to get it to seal. I'd do metal, if I had it to do over again.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

why couldn't you get it to seal? Has anyone else had this problem? I would like to avoid plastic, what about the 4wd hardware stainless, they are expensive? What kind of tanks do wranglers come stock with? how big? Are they adaptable?
ANyone else have suggestions or expiriences?

Thanks for the help raduckal.

Tony
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 07:24 PM

When I redid my tank I sent it off to Mattson Radiator in Stanton California and had the do the Renu to it. They did a great job and it looks great. The best thing is it is still the stock tank so I had not modification to make it fit. The tank son the earlier CJ's are different from the 76 and later ones. No one, that I could find, makes a stock replacement. If you decades of rust free gas then I would buy a replacement 20 gallon tank from 4wd hardware and then have Mattson do the treatment to it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 07:26 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

The plastic tanks are less than perfect where the fuel sender mounts. This tank I have uses a flat round seal instead of an "O" ring which is stock. Also, I believe the plastic ones flex when installed. So, only tighten them enough to ... well enough. Where do you get stainless? That sounds like a good idea.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

4wd hardware, I think 22 gal for $275.

I would like to it for cheaper if anyway possible.

Thanks
Tony
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 08:41 AM
Pooh-Bah

JC Whitney sells a tank cleaner and reconditioner setup that I have heard good things about. It is a cleaner and solvent for the 1st step and a sealer for the second. You may be able to remove your stock tank, clean it and reseal it. I think it was 24.95 for the kit, right next to the flashing LED valvecaps and the Chrome rocker panel tape. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode