1980 CJ5, Dana 300 jumps out of Low - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 12:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1980 CJ5, Dana 300 jumps out of Low

Can some one give some help. I have a 1980 CJ5 with a T176 and Dana 300. About 60,000 miles ago the Dana 300 was rebuilt for bad bearings. After that, it would jump out of 4 low when reving down and desending a hill. I tried talking ot several people and no one had a clue. "Just built, shouldn't do that?" would be the responses. I put a twin stick in kind of hoping it would help. But no. Talked to the company and they say to make sure it is adjusted so to fully engage the gears. I did that. I talked to a few other mechanics and they it needs to be adjusted because the gears still are not going in all the way.

Last week I had the T176 transmittion re-built Bad bearing due to seal leaking dope. I had the builder take the dana apart, clean and check for any thing that could cause the jumping out of low gear. Bad adjustment, bent shift fork, bad bearing, anything. He could not find any thing wrong.

And yes it still jumps out of low gear.

Has anyone ever had this problem and know what to do about it.
Thank for your help.

Tripp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 08:30 PM

Re: 1980 CJ5, Dana 300 jumps out of Low

Typically they do it because there is too much end play in the output shafts, and the front output in particular.
What's happening is the sliding 'clutch' gears are worming off sprocket due to too much slop of the output shafts.
Try removing some of the shims under the rectangular plate behind the shafts at the top rear of the TC to reduce the end play down to just a few thousandths.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 11:58 PM
I Do This For The Glory

It's a common problem and a PITA, can't tell you of how many obstacles I've entered in 2WD low and gotten stuck. One other thing you can do to help is to tighten up on the shifter linkage, so it has some resistance to it. If it's easy to move, it'll do so on its own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 08:24 AM
Journeyman

On a similar situation, my d300 started jumping out of low then high and the rear output lever felt like it had no connection with the shift fork at all, just the detents. I pulled the bottom cover and found that the allen screw for the shift rail had backed out of the fork! Lucky it didn't fall out into the gears. I cleaned the threads, put loc-tite on and re-installed the screw.
I'm sure this isn't your problem since the case has been "checked out"

GaryM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode