Jeeplab is POWERED UP! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Jeeplab is POWERED UP!

[img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] At noon today i flipped the 100 AMP breaker in the main distribution panel to "ON" and the little radio way across the yard in the new shop began blaring. At long last we have electricity! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Some of you may recal that we were RENTING for 11 months before we left CA, and in order to work in the garage at the renta-diggings, I constructed a portable power panel setup out of an 8-circuit breaker panel, mounted on a board, with outlets all around it ranging from 120V 15 Amps to 230V 30 AMPs for the welder. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] All we needed to do to the house itself was pop in a 40 AMP Breaker in the panel and install a plug on the wall of the garage. That was all we had to leave behind when we vacated. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] We've used that panel as a "construction" panel while we remodeled our house, and now I have it hanging in the new shop. All it needs is a four-pole 230V plug for it's main power cord to plug into. To save time and defray some expense till next month I just installed a four-pole plug at the new shop and plugged our portable panel into it and I was in business! [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Next month I'll buy a nice 100 AMP circuit breaker panel for the new shop, with maybe 20 circuits in it. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] If you are in a rental OR if you suspect that you may be moving, I recommend building up a small panel on a board. This setup has really come in handy for us. Ours is setup for four-wire service, but you can also do this and plug into the dryer circuit. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 06:36 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Jeeplab is POWERED UP!

Okay CJDave,

For those of us who are too stupid to know when we are out of our league, can you supply us with schematics for the panel? Pictures? etc.... It sounds like just what I need at my house! I rent a two car + basement with a house attached and could use the extra outlets and such for my playing!

Fritz
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 10:57 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Come on Dave ..get the lead out [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] We need to see the R&D section in full swing [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Get them moon guys crackin' [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Now about that oil preheater setup for the generator set......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I've thought about doing that, Fritz.. I have a scanner but I don't know how to use it yet, but I'll get some tekkie help and get it going soon. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I got the idea for this panel from a HOTEL. When they have conventions and trade shows, the sales department INVARIABLY shows up in engineering a day before the show is to start and casually tells the engineers that: "OH, by the way, we need EIGHTY 120V outlets of 20 AMPs each." That used to cause HUGE problems for engineering until they finally got smart and installed these big four-pole plugs all around the perifery of the exhibit/conference rooms. Now they just flop however many panels that they need on the floor and plug those suckers in, and they don't have to get mad at the sales chick any more. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I'll try and get this posted somehow......it's a great problem solver. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] What do you have available as a power source? A dryer outlet perhaps? [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Er..... [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] ah....not to put too fine a point on it, but in the process of pulling the electrical wiring to the shop, we also pulled the emergency power circuits to where the new addition to our house; which isn't even BUILT yet; will feed from. We are now completely wired as far as the main distribution feeders go, and we DO have a "Critical Loads" panel which serves furnace blowers, refrigerator, microwave, some select lighting, the power garage doors, and certain other essential loads. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Few ramshackle Iowa farmhouses have anything LIKE this, I can guarantee you. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] All we need now is the generator itself. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] One of my hospital customers had one to give away...it was a Fairbanks Morse in-line turbocharged diesel at 1200 RPM....a real sweet engine. It was in the basement of a hospital that had grown around it. They had to air-arc it into little pieces to get it out of there [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Wot a shame. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] My next job is getting the insulation and inner walls up before the weather turns nasty. I am DETERMINED to get this shop finished and get the SNOJEEP in there before Thanksgiving. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 02:44 AM

Let me get this straight..

your getting a generator?
to open your "garage doors?" which are considered "vital?"

my garage doors haven't worked in years.. just pull on the toggle and lift.

I wish I could call microwaves and garage doors vital and put them on the emergency circut with the generator.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] well, ....er [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] we have to have a generator set for prolonged outages caused by ice storms and it just so happens that we can include the power door lifts as a part of the emergency circuitry. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]We have a critical loads panel AND a separate sub panel for the garage which together have a common feed from the main distribution panel, and collectively are well within the limits of a small gen set. The common feeder to those panels is the one which will be diverted into a changeover switch when we install a gen set later on. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I recently had a discussion with a local resident who lives quite a ways off the main road. They were out for six days a few years ago, and the refer and microwave were some of the loads that were needed, along with the water pump and a few lights. They had to do all that with extension cords. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 12:06 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Yep, a dryer outlet right next to the main house feed.

As I was reading your reply, I suddenly remembered that we have one of those panels at work for weekend events. We rent out the historic carriage house and back grounds to parties and small conventions and they do the same thing. I've never thought to examine them. I could have sworn though that they are using a regular three prong plug which seems like a glorified powerstrip.

So do you build in different amp plugs on the panel? I'd like more details as you can imagine. If you could get me a copy of you plans, I can scan them and do what ever needs doing to them.

Fritz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode