Worried about throughout bearing. What will happen - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 05:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Worried about throughout bearing. What will happen

My dad said to wait until the throughout bearing goes out. Im new to learning about clutches but what will happen when that bearing does go out.

Im thinking either wont be able to get in gear or when i do get it in gear the gears will just wind and i wont get any forward motion.

If this happens in the middle of the road ne one got ne quick fixes or bright ideas. Im pretty sure 4H wont help either =(.

OH well.

"If nothing falls off, It's not a Jeep"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 10:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Worried about throughout bearing. What will ha

The information below is "possible" but not recommended ...do so at your own risk to vehicle and/or motoring public (or yourself)

If you can't use your clutch pedal ...in emergency situations (as in no repair facility within reasonable distance) ..you need to defeat your clutch safety switch and just start the thing in gear and learn to use the engine speed ot move between the respective gears ...you can do it with your clutch currently working for practice. Just apply a slight pressure to the stick and go from a "power" to a "coast" condition and the trans will come out of gear. Now gently hold the stick against the next gear and give a little burp to the gas pedal and it will go into that gear ...accellerate as needed ...downshifting is quite similar. Stopping and restarting requires the stopping of the engine and a restart with the foot to the floor while cranking in 1st gear.

I had to do this for over 100 miles when a clutch cable let go on my Chevette. It's workable ...but not recommended. You kinda have to have a little bit of "billy riggin' savvy to prepare for some of the situations that arrise.

Buy a new clutch, pressure plate, pilot bushing, and throw out bearing and bite the bullet and fix it. Heck, you know it's going bad while it's still in service ...it's not like you just discovered it in rush hour traffic at 3:05 in the afternoon. Hammer your dad to dig into it now.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 11:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Worried about throughout bearing. What will ha

great idea i know exactly what u are talking about. my cousin taught me this in his old pathfinder and i was able to do it in my old YOTA but ill have to get a little practice in b4 the thing goes downhill to bad Thanx for the advice

"If nothing falls off, It's not a Jeep"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 10:45 AM

Re: Worried about throughout bearing. What will happen

Is your throwout bearing making noise? Is your clutch slipping?

If the throwout bearing isn't squealing or you don't need to replace the clutch then don't worry about it. If you're planning on replacing the clutch then for sure put in a new throwout bearing. I wouldn't pull the tranny just to replace a throwout bearing that isn't bad.

Ken Linzmeyer
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 11:48 AM
Old Hand

When I release the clutch I get a "squeky" sound.. I am assuming it's the throw out bearing..

What do you guys think?

I`m waiting to replace it when I drop the transfercase for my new SYE, so I can drop the tranny easy at the same time..

Opinions?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 03:18 PM

That's the one. When mine was going bad I spent a week or two driving around with slight pressure on my clutch just to stop the noise from shattering windows and scattering Moms with strollers along the road...finally broke down and just changed the entire clutch. Come to find out the disk and pressure plate were still good so I just kept them and will use them again when I need them. One note, ask Elusive, after the squeal comes the carnage...a worn bearing will squeal and then eventually seize and then eventually shatter from the heat and potentionally cause some breakage. The sooner you change it the better!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 03:28 PM

Well, once mine started squealing, I had about a weeks worth of driving before it finally exploded. The throwout bearing broke in two pieces, the inner piece went through the pressure plate, the release are ground away on the pressure plate, the bearing parts ground into the nosepiece on the tranny. Moral of the story, it still worked, squealed like hell, and cost alot to fix. If it starts going, I say replace it, listen to mobdawg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode