Cracked manifold or not? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Cracked manifold or not?

Hello Folks
I still haven't found out where the nasty exhaust "tick" is coming from in my '95 YJ. After posting a question about it before, and hearing from others that it was common for the rear manifold bolt to break off in the head, I decide to take it to a shop and have it checked out. Without looking at it, the mechanic said, "Yup, the rear exhaust manifold bolt is probably broken off in the head, and now the manifold is warped". But after an inspection, he came out and said that the bolts were fine, and not broken. Anyhow, now I have it in my head that the manifold is cracked. Any thoughts? It leaks/ticks for the first while after you start it cold, and then goes away when its warmed up. How can I tell if its cracked? Is it common for the four cylinder manifolds to crack? A girl at work told me today that her '98 TJ has been in the shop twice due to manifold problems...but she didn't know any details. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm gonna change it myself, but want to know for sure that its the problem first. Thanks.
Rembrant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 07:33 PM
Official Historian

Re: Cracked manifold or not?

When it's COLD, just use you hand to feel for air pulses. Might even disconnect the fan belt(s) so there is no extra wind.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Will
I'll give that a try [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img], and post my results.
Rembrant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 02:28 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

There are issues with the exhaust manifold bolts/studs breaking/cracking on your engine . There was also a TSB issued from DC about this .
www.alldata.com/TSB/04/950406D8.html

Jeff
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 08:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The exhaust manifold for the 2.5 of your vintage is cast iron and does not have a "doughnut" (gasket) between the bottom of the manifold and the start of the exhaust pipe. It is metal to metal. Check that connection as it may be loose. Also, you may have a leak at the intake/exhaust manifold gasket. They are one piece for both manifolds.

If your manifold is cracked try http://www.bishopengine.com/pages/ei...oductid=C-1532 I have used these guys before and was very pleased. The Jeep dealer is going to get you about $110 plus for an OEM part.

Good Luck!

Kriss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode