Patching Oil pan? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Patching Oil pan?

Well today sucked. I was thinking this morning that i should start buildng a skid for my oil pan, but i worked on my bumper instead. WELLL I was out on a trail and what do I do? yep, put a nice little hole in the pan. My question is this: Its small, think i can patch it? if so, what should I use? I was thikning of JBWeld, but I thought I'd ask first. THe patch would only be temporary until i could hit the junkyard tomorrow and get another pan. Oh, and if anyone has plans for a skid for my pan, I'd appreciate it if you shared them with me haha

Thanks,
Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 03:26 PM
Old Hand

Re: Patching Oil pan?

As long as you didn't dent it too much or warp it, you can just weld it and keep using it. I've done that in the past with good results. If you don't have access to a welder, take it to a shop. They shouldn't charge you more than a few bucks for a small hole.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 03:26 PM
Official Historian

You could look in the catalogs at the skid plated oil pans for an idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 04:23 PM

SuburbanAssault
I recently hit something with my '95 YJ and opened up two 3/4" holes in the oil pan. I pounded the bottom of the pan back out flat with a steel punch and a hammer, cleaned it off with a wire brush (just the paint, there was no rust), and then brazed the holes over. Didn't take much, less than half a rod, and a few minutes with a torch. Coat of quick dry black from a rattle can, and its been fine ever since. I had planned on getting a new pan, but probably won't bother now. Good Luck.
Rembrant
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 04:29 PM

I had one MIGwelded once, years ago.

easy, just had to drain the oil, and we sprayed some brake cleaner in there to try and clean the inside a little, cleaned around it until it was shiney, and BBZZZZZT, hole fixed.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 01:46 AM

If you have access to a welder, it's no big deal to do. I've never replaced a regular oil pan....I won't talk about the aluminum one in a Buick Skylark a buddy managed to slam on a rock (I STILL have no idea how the heck he managed THAT one! That road was the next thing to dead flat I've ever seen!). That one was about 30 pieces!

JB weld might work....I've fixed a lot of stuff with it. Still, I'd rather weld it IMO.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 09:03 AM

Welding it would be the best. But if you use brake clean be careful the old stuff was non-flamable but most of the new stuff is extremaly FLAMABLE. I once saw a Ford van with a 6 banger that had a leaky fuel pump (leaking inside) and the oil got enough gas in it and BANG it blew the oil pan clean off.

If you don't have acces to a welder JB weld would work too just be sure to have it CLEAN and I wouldn't use the JB quick use the old slow stuff and be sure to let it fully set up. I have a 5 hp Briggs that threw a rod and cracked the block. I used JB weld on it and its been hold up for 3 years so far.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Do you think I could braze it with the pan still on? I JB QwikWelded it the other day as a temporary fix and then covered that up with rtv silicone as an extra barrier, but I know i didn't clean it right, because it's already leaking a little. I can braze it in shop class tomorrow, though, assuming I would be able to do it witht he pan still on, I won't have time to do it otherwise.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 11:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do yourself a favor and pull the pan. Do it right the first time, and you wont have to worry the next time you're out on the trail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode