Tying the winch into the snorkle? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Tying the winch into the snorkle?

My winch has a drain hole in the bottom of it. Some water has gotten in there already and i was wondering if i can throw some rtv on the cover and run a line from the vent to the snorkle it will be arlgiht, any thoughts? Staying out of water really isn't an option atleast water no less than bumper deep since it's on the enterance to my favorite wheeling spot.

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 09:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tying the winch into the snorkle?

Ok if its a drain hole on the bottom of the winch... its looking for gravity to drain the water from the winch. Well if you plug it and put a tube up in the air... where is that water going to go? [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 10:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

i agree...
winches are not water tight... it will stil get water in it. I have found that water doesnt really hurt winches that bad though... once a year I take my winch apart and change all he grease in it and silicone up the vitals... it just plain works better after I do that, and its really not hard to do while I drink a couple beers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 10:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Where does the ratings come from under the name? Thats something new to me ?>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 11:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a friend who completely sealed the motor with silicone. However the water will still get in through the end where the drum is.

I have a Warn 12000 winch on my CJ. Its a real old one which has no way of being sealed. I am just starting to get into the "rock scene" a bit but have put my winch under water tons of time. I normally clean it out and re grease it also. I am also on my second motor in 4 years. Normally if I see one on ebay or something I grab it just in case.

So I suggest just doing what Exclusive and myself does... Not really worry about sealing it but just maintaining it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 11:50 AM
Mud in my Veins

think about it this way... your starter is basically a winch without the cable and it has the same drain hole that probably gets submerged every time you go offroad. you still use it everyday and it keeps chugging... consider how often you use the winch and you'll probably agree that the winch isnt something to worry about much. OR you could get a sealed hydraulic winch that'll work underwater, but i aint going there [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 01:35 PM

The only part of the winch that can be sealed is the motor. I had the motor on my Warn M8000 rust out. I got a replacement motor and sealed it. Then, I tapped a pipe thread in the motor housing and installed a Barbed fitting. Then, I ran a vent line up to higher ground. That is exactly how HMMWV Warn Winches are designed (with a vent line between the winch motor and the air intake). I don't think you would need to do this if you religiously clean and re-grease your winch but, where I live, salt gets all over the winch (since it sits right on the bumper). After a few years the motor starts to corrode and then it's time for a new motor. Just remember, those vents/drain holes are there for a reason: when the motor gets hot gas had to be able to escape. If you can keep out the water by sealing, you still need to allow for venting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode