"Waterproof" or Marine CB's? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

\"Waterproof\" or Marine CB\'s?

I've already killed 1 $40 radioshack cb and am thinking i should invest in a quality cb or maybe just put my next cb in an amo can. A waterproof cb would be nice since my jeep has been known to go swiming on occasion. Marine electronics are usually a little more water proof so does anybody have experiance with them? I need a new cb and want one under $100, i'm tempted just to make a new center councle and get another $40 pos but get the replacement warenty and a big amo can to put it in. Any idea here?

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 09:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: \"Waterproof\" or Marine CB\'s?

Goto any boat place and pick one up. They are normally under $100 for one that performs like a Radio Shack brand CB. I have replaced one or two in our boat in the past. Try ebay I've seen alot of Marine stuff for sale on there.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 09:49 AM

it isnt legal or useful to use a marine radio in a Jeep. ( differetn frequency than CB band)

Now a water proof CB, that would be nice, Rat shack makes the only one ive ever seen, its yellow and grey, and pretty basic, but expensive, and probably performs like the rest of the radio shack CBs ( not very well but OK for a trail comm device)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 12:37 PM
krazykracker

O.K., first I see the post for the winch snorkel, then one for a waterproof CB, I just gotta know where in the hell do you go off roading at?!! I think you might want to invest in a submarine [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 08:58 PM

This one's easy- mount the CB to an over-head rack. Or... look into those plastic cases with the flip-front lid that they have for the radios. Maybe you could modify on of those to work?

Someone say submarine? c'mon- he's not going quite that deep if he's running around in water without a snorkel and without hydrolocking the engine.

Have you ever noticed how incredibly water-resistant the factory AM/FM (non-cassette) radio is in the YJs? I've submerged it, pressure washed mud off the face of it, and let it sit out in the rain... and it works great. Unfortunately the speakers packed up with mud and ****** up...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 09:29 PM

Yeah....Almost every marine radio is UHF / VHF.... which means they get way better distance than a CB.. but also means you have to have a license to have one... no matter where you are.

Not just that, but since they are not common in motor vehicles and not compatible with CB's, you will only pick up boats and farmers most of the time.

Good luck finding a waterproof marine CB, but the boat guys just usually don't use CB radios for anything.

Best regards

John
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 11:24 PM

the problem with being VHF/UHF is that its darn near line of sight at those freqs.

the lower the freq the more it penetrates, so a 27 Mhz CB will go further thru wood or rock or dirt than a marine radio at say 400 Mhz

sp asically you could have several times more power ( as all marine radios do comprared to watt Cbs) BUt they are designed to TX over water, which is pretty flat, not perfectly flat, but flatter than most terrain.

buy a cheap CB, learn how to tune the antenna, and you will be leaps and bounds above 90% of the other folks using CBs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode