OT: Need recomendations for a family tow rig - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

OT: Need recomendations for a family tow rig

Just like it says, I will be looking for a new tow rig in the near future. I was thinking of a ford f350 dually diesel crew cab, but the prices are still a little too high. Looking for something that will tow around 6k lbs with no problems and haul me the wife and 2 car seats with room to spare. Doesn't have to be a pickup, but does have to have less then 40k miles and still be under $20k. So what do you guys think? Oh and this will be my daily drivers also, so gas milleage is an issue. Say mid teens mpg. I currently have a 98 ford f150 that works pretty good, but I would like something stronger for those mountain tows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 03:45 PM

Re: OT: Need recomendations for a family tow rig

I went through this same issue about 6 weeks ago. After 2 years of looking and driving it came to a great end. I just purchased a '99 F250 super duty crew, 4wd, lariat package and the Triton V10. It also has custom paint and exhaust, Xenon fenders, stainless rocker guards, step boards, Lund hood scoops/sun visor etc-the thing is loaded.

I could not afford a new one, and in the used category F150 and F250 were the same price around here. This F250 had 18k miles while the F150s had around 30k, but the were newer. I paid $24k for the F250.

I am very glad I went with the F250. Here is why:
1. The cab is 8" wider across the hips. This means I have seat belts for six-three front three back. I have since had to ride in the back of a crew cab F150 and I tell you the F250 is nice the F150 cramped (yes I am a big guy but...kids will be in the back for hours). In the cab room there is a big difference.
2. The ride on the F250 is better. The front has leaf springs and I expected a rough ride-super duty and all. Seriously better, less roll and better control, better both on road and off.
3. I need a truck. I haul things. The F150 bed is only 6 foot. Not very big. Mine has a 7 foot bed-I can make it work even though I prefer 8 footer. Payload is much more on the F250
4. If you are going to tow-you need the heavier duty tranny and engine-no doubt the F250 tranny is bigger and more fluid capacity.
5. Bigger engine on the F250. Yes feeding the F250 is not much fun. 11 mpg city, 14.5 mpg highway. My F150 only got 16-17 mpg highway so really not much difference but it does add up. This is also my daily driver. My only complaint-too small of a gas tank. I can go 300 miles is all.

All in all I am so glad I went with the F250. Make sure you drive one-the used price difference is not much. Yes I wish it was a diesel but that $4k more. My wife picked this thing out for me while I was in Sweden-Jeepchick did good.

Good Luck.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Thats what i'm talking about. Does it have the 4 full size doors? Thanks for the info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 05:23 PM

Well, we lost our minds and went out and bought a new Dodge 3/4 ton with the Turbo Diesel Cummins last year. My first new truck and what a truck its been so far! Its a quad cab, nice for the kids but maybe a little cramped for the adult. It has the HO (high output) Cummins with the NV5600 6 speed with 410 gears and you could pull a house down with this thing! It dosen't even know the jeep and trailer and jeep are behind it. I get around 17 mpg around town and in the low 20s on the hwy if I keep my foot out of it. We towed the jeep to Colorado and I was very proud how the truck did in the mountians. I love this truck and it was the right choice for us. Maybe a little overkill for towing the jeep, but what the hell, we like overkill, right? I just hope I live long enough to get the damn thing paid off!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 05:28 PM

BTW, I have a great link for you, please read it BEFORE you buy anything. Good Luck finding your dream tow rig!http://www.carbuyingtips.com/carintro.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 08:20 PM

Yes the F250 has four full size doors. The handles are easy for my kids to open. My kids are 6,5 and 3 years old. The handles are lower and pull out-even the 3 year old can open them. Also cool for the kids-the rear windows go all the way down. Ahhh just like when we were rats!! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Guess I just ain't as safety minded as some people!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 05:09 AM
Veteran

We got the wife a F-250 2WD PS,.....So far we both love it, it's a crew cab and the rear doors are full, the back seat will seat adults very comfortably,....I almost want to get back there on the long trips hehe.

When driving in town, the wife will get anywhere from 18 mpg to her best of 21mpg, she usually puts around 50-75 miles on the truck a day.

When we had the slide in camper(2100lbs) and the Jeep on the trailer(5000-6000lbs), we got between 12-15mpg. With the new camper(6800lbs dry weight) and the jeep in the back (4000lbs) and all the crap in the bed of the truck, the best I got was 9-10mpg.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 07:29 AM
Keyboard Implanted

i also have the 2wd F-250 crew cab.. with the powerstroke diesel.. its AWESOME!
plenty of room.. and it tows a jeep wonderfully.. has the same drivetrain as the f350.. and you dont pay quite as much.. i get 18-21mpg around town.. cruising unloaded highway.. usually about 20... towing a jeep.. 12-14mpg.. depending on speed.. if i set the cruise at 75 then its closer to 12.. if i keep it around 65-70.. then i get about 14mpg..
like i said.. it tows the jeep like a dream.. ill never own anything besides a diesel crew cab... after this truck.. im definetly spoiled.. mine is a 99.. i picked it for 18k out the door.. and the diesels.. well.. you can run them suckers 200-300k...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 07:40 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] I thought that Suburbans were the ultimate family-kid-grocery getter and tow rig? [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] We had a 3/4 Ton Sub with the full floating 14-bolt rear axle a 454 and a TH400. With dual air, three fuel tanks, and a possible nine seat belts with the back seat in place it was a real "traveler". We even had a marine-grade porta-potty for it. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] It had an EZ-Lift hitch which I never bothered to use since my trailers were all made with the perfect tongue weight without using the bars. I had air shocks in back for leveling. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Of course that was before there were rigs like BRhino has. I saw his rig a month ago, and it is AWESOME, just awesome. His Jeepchick can really pick 'em. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 08:06 AM
Can't Get Enough

My next tow rig / family vehicle will be a F250 with 4 doors and the powerstroke engine. That new powerstroke is even more awesome than the "old" one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode