CJ Project almost finished....yeah right - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 02:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ Project almost finished....yeah right

I guess it will never really be finished but we are almost done with the painting. Other than that it will just be a bunch of little mods/fine tuning of things from here on out.
I'd like to thank everyone on this board for the mountain of information here. I never could have made it this far without it. I've never asked many questions, but with the search engine and a little patience I've almost always been able to answer my questions. You guys have helped me out from time to time more than you can imagine.
Here is a link to some pictures of the near finished product. I have a lot more intermediate pictures but I haven't had a chance to get them online yet.

http://www.walmart.com/agt/bounce.gs...2791516766761A

Thanks again,
Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 03:39 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: CJ Project almost finished....yeah right

Dude, nice work. Looks really nice. Now stop playing around on the street and get it dirty [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 03:50 PM

Looks great even though I am getting sick with envy. My Jeep is in so many piles I don't know when it will see paint on the new body!

I like the yellow with the gray top. Never seen one before and it looks really nice. I was thinking that color yellow too-is it Corvette yellow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 10:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I know what you mean, Brian. I have mountains of parts yet to assemble into a functional Jeep, and it's not going to be easy to find all of the stuff since it was moved as.....a mountain of parts. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] It will be SUCH A RELIEF to get back to serious work on the SNOJEEP, what with winter a-comin'. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] It will also be nice to have space to work in for a change. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] The Jeep in those photos looks almost too nice to drive.....a great paint job! I have a BINKS Model 35 gun, but I'm no painter.......not to that degree. Yellow is a great color for a Jeep! Good JOB! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 05:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the compliments guys. It's been a long hard road rebuilding this thing but I'm slowly getting near the end. The painting process alone has been long. I started prepping the Jeep in February and we were ready to paint by May. I'm not a painter either (not good enough to shot a nice topcoat anyway) so I had one of my painter's from the plant shoot it for me. Well, he spent over four months painting, rushing, messing things up, repainting. That's actually a whole saga in itself.
The color is lemon yellow (a little brighter than the corvette yellow - although, corvette yellow is what I was originally shooting for). The color turned out real well and I couldn't be happier about it. It is pretty blinding on a bright sunny day though! The paint is actually a PPG aircraft paint. I asked my vendor to get me a sample of that yellow and that is what we used.
I like the way the gray top ended up looking too. I was a little worried about it after I ordered it but it ended up looking pretty nice. I was trying to avoid the "bumblebee" effect of yellow and black. Now I just need to finish up some suspension and steering work and address a few more painting issues and then I'm done with all the major stuff (until I decide to swap out the axles, tranny, engine, etc.!)

Chuck

P.S. the key to a really good paint job is about 90% prep and 10% painting. A painter may shoot the best topcoat you've ever seen but if he hasn't done much prep or cleaning, it's all for nothing.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 07:31 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] That's the scary part about painting.....all of the prep work can be wasted if the gun or the gunner isn't right, and vice versa. It is really nerve-wracking. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] For reasons which I never quite understood, Mexicans seem to be above average "natural" painters. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] In CA I had several different guys work for me at different times who were Hispanic, and those guys could hang more paint in one pass without runs than I ever thought possible. I learned quite a bit watching them.....from a distance. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 01:41 PM

Sharp looking! Man, I don't think I could drive something that looks that nice...I'd be afraid of dinging it up!

Love the color. I agree that yellow is a GREAT color for a jeep. My dad rebuilt a '60 CJ5 in the late '60s. It was white when he got it, but it ended up yellow with a black top. Called it the bumblebee.

A close friend of mine is a RC modeler--he's 30 and been doing it since he was 12. When I was complaining that I thought I'd never get my jeep done, he laughed and said: "Well, it's sorta like building an RC. There's always more you can do to it. It's never FINISHED, but at some point you call it DONE!"

Again, great job....when do we get to see some pics with mud on it?
[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 08:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I doubt we'll see much mud on this one! I actually wouldn't mind taking it out from time to time...just have to clean it real well after. Your right though about about dinging it up, that would be kind of hard to swallow after all the work I put into getting the body into the best shape possible. I'm just going to use it mostly as a beach jeep and maybe do one just for offroad in a couple of years.
As far as painters go, all I can say is choose them wisely. Find one who knows what they're doing but also has a lot of time on their hands. The guy I had paint my Jeep is good on the trigger when he slows down and takes his time and does what he knows he needs to do. Unfortunately, it is hard to get him to slow down. Still, everything eventually worked out in the end.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode