Jeep CJ-2A or CJ-3A drivetrain? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Jeep CJ-2A or CJ-3A drivetrain?

I found a 48 flatfender for sale in decent condition for $500. The owner says he thinks it's a CJ-2A from a sticker it used to have. But it has a CJ-3A style windshield. I know they made both of these jeeps that year. What drive train would this jeep have? It has a gm 4-cyl engine. I'm mainly interested in the strength of the axles. If I get it, it will receive a spring over on wrangler springs, some 33" tires, lincon locked rear, and be released on the rocks, mud, sand, maybe even some highway. Does anybody know of a site with a lot of info on this jeep? Is there any chance it would fit in the bed of a long bed dodge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 09:26 AM
Official Historian

Re: Jeep CJ-2A or CJ-3A drivetrain?

http://www.jeeptech.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 02:16 PM
Apprentice

It should fit in the back of a long wide bed pickup as long as it has stock wheels and tires, you will have to drive it over the fender wells.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Ok, now that I know what it had in it 54 years ago. "Go Devil" flathead, T-90, Spicer 18, dana 25, and dana 41. Is any of this stuff any good? The owner says the engine is a General Motors. Did they build the "Go Devil" or did somebody swap in a 151 or something. The Spicer 18 should be plenty strong. Planed mods include 33s, weld rear, and wheel it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 04:47 PM
Apprentice

I have a CJ3a the drive train is the same as what you are looking at excecpt I have the stock dana 44 rear end. From what I have read the 41 and 44 are simlar in strength. My drive train is all stock dana 25 front, t-90, model 18, dana 44 rear (welded) and run 33x12.50x15 tires on 10" wheels. I am by no means easy on my jeep and have not had any problems. The areas I would suggest you upgrade are the brakes, I installed disk breaks on the front of mine and have never regretted spending the money, and steering I am constantly bending tie rods and the bearings in the bell crank are wearing out fast. I will be upgrading to manual saginaw steering box off of a newer CJ5. Another thing to keep in mind is you have 2 piece rear axels so you need to be sure to keep the nut holding the hub on tight.

The Go-Devil engine is not GM so I would guess someone has swapped that out for a 151.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 05:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It was common in the early days to replace the 2A windshield frame with the 3A verson as it has the air vent.

I had a stock 2A once. Put a Chevy 350 in it. The weight of the 350 made the frame sag just behind the motor allowing the steering shaft rub on the exhaust manifold. Fixed that. Promply blew out the T90 tranny. Fixed that. Blew out the rear end. Fixed that. Blew out the front end. Fixed jeep one more time. Sold jeep. That was how I learned about torque. Wish I still had it now!

Kriss
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

So it seems like this jeep would be good. Just spring over it, throw 33s on the 15x8s, weld the rear, and go whip the rich kids' TJs. Would there be any drive shaft problems with a spring over on this jeep? What will I have to do with the steering for the SOA? What size u-joints does the dana 25 use?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 07:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think that you will be looking at all new running gear if the OEM stuff is still there. First, the steering box is of an old design that will not handle a lot of abuse, and will wear out fast if you flat tow the jeep. As I said in my last post, I blew everything out that I could blow in my 2A with OEM running gear when I put a Chevy 350 in it but the D18 x-case.

Don't get me wrong, I love the old flaties. I would approch this project as a frame up. You should reinforce the frame to start and go from there as the 50 plus year old metal needs a little upgrade to handle the modern technology it sounds like you want to stuff in it.

Good Luck!
Kriss

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 08:26 PM
47WillysCJ2A

I have a 305 in my CJ2A and haven't had any problems with it in the 6 years that I've had it. I have the 25 front and 41 rear
with the Dana 18 transfer case and warn Overdrive. I havent broken anything yet but I have upgraded to manual steering from a 72 CJ5. I run 12.50 33's with no problem on 8 inch Wheels with a 2 1/2" Superlift. I did trim the rear fenderwells a bit because it was a close fit at full stuff on the rear. My plan was to upgrade as things broke and so far all I've changed is the Intake, Carb, Distributor, Steering and Radiator. I am planning on switching to power steering and possibly putting a Lock-Rite in the rear but I'm hesitant to with the 2 piece axles. A previous owner had boxed a good portion of both the front and rear of the frame but it was showing it's age in the front from flexing when turning. I fixed this by welding some two inch angle iron across the front of the frame between the frame rails and building a steering box mount out of 3/8" steel plate. I have a CJ3A windshield on my jeep as well and you can tell what axles you have by looking on the housing in on the right side. If it is a 41 it will have a 41 cast in below the axle tube just to the right of the cover and on a 25 it is cast on the passenger side in a similar area only on the back side of the housing and above the axle tube.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 12:18 PM
M38

You guys keep talking about 2 piece axles mine is a 50 or 51 and I recently had the axles out (rear and front) the rears were solid (tapered) all the way. mine is a 44, did they change somewhere in between ours?

clint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode