258 compatability - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 06:00 AM
dakota617

258 compatability

My son has a 1989 Jeep Wrangler with a tired 258. He is in school and needs the Jeep for daily transportation. We purchased a used 258 with the intention of rebuilding it, using a 4.0 head, and installing it in the spring. Are older 258s compatable (1982 we think) with the "newer" 258s? Any and all info will be appreciated.Thnx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 06:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 258 compatability

Yup they are should be interchangable, without much trouble at all. A good swap.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 06:23 AM
dakota617

Thanks for the help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 06:47 AM
Can't Get Enough

I think the only thing you have to look at is the head bolt size. 4.0's have 1/2" holes. I have a '79 with 1/2" bolts but my '85 has 7/16" bolts. There is a company that makes spacer/sleeves so a 7/16" bolt will fill the 1/2" hole, maybe somebody else can help or do a search for the 4.0 head conversion. I'm sure it has been covered. Good Luck.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 07:43 AM

The head (bolt) chart and 4.0 HO head conversion article including links to two others are on my site below ...

Doesn't your '89 already have a 4.0 block but without the improved 1991+ HO head?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 03:40 PM

I don't think they ever put a non-HO 4.0 into a YJ. The 258 was in use till '90, '91 and up got the 4-HO.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 06:54 PM

Re: 258 compatability - ALERT!!!

I put a '79 258 out of a CJ in my '87 YJ and I had to custom make/fit my tranny input shaft bushing/bearing. The POS Puegot tranny used a input bearing that was a different size, both inside and out, than the input bearing that the '79 used.

Translation: the hole in the end of my crank was too big for the input bearing I needed. Fortunately, I had a friend with a small lathe (thank the gods). So, he opened up the inside of the '79 bushing until the '87 bearing could fit inside it.

Just look at the hole in the end of your crank and see if it's the same size. If it's still in the Jeep, go to the parts store and ask for an input bearing/bushing for each year (82 and 89) and see what they look like.

Also... they switched from the Peuogot BA10/5 to the Aisin AX-15 halfway through the '89 model year. You may want to check and see which one you have before going to the parts store.

You can use this link to help you figure it out if you need to.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 07:35 AM
dakota617

We have the Aisin-15 trans. Last year the rear universal joint let loose and the transfer case cracked from the drive shaft flopping around; so we got a crash course in finding out what type trans. we had. The jury is still out on what year engine we have. There is supposed to be a way to tell from the engine casting #s but that is yet to be determined. Looks like we are going to need to find out as it looks like the piston sets, and maybe camshaft and lifters could vary by year. So far we have the intake and exahust manifolds off, the head, water pump, dist., oil pump, and the camshaft out. We are going to try to get the pistons out and the crank out so we can take it in and have it cleaned and mag'ed next week before we buy the head. We had to take a screwdriver and hammer out some of the lifters which cant be good, but we will see what the local machine shop has to say. Hopping for the best, but you know how that goes.....
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 05:00 PM
brendan

You should be fine putting an 82 in place of an 89,was it? the crank changed in 1980 to a much lighter version. I imagine that that is why the above poster had trouble with his 79.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode