just bought my first jeep tonighte. have questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 10:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

just bought my first jeep tonighte. have questions

i just got a 83 cj 7 in fair to good shape. i have a couple of questions. when you put it in four wheel drive the front left tire will not engage for awhile, it will engage but not until after you ride it for awhile. what do i need to do about it. it has the originally hubs. also dimer switch does not work as well as the heater switch and fuel gage, and horn. are these things that are easy to fix. and where is the best place to get body parts. need front left fender, and rt rear panel. thaks for info in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 12:17 AM

Re: just bought my first jeep tonighte. have questions

All your electrical problems.. check your fuses.. and if they are fine check your grounds..

I spent months without a fuel gague only to find a bad ground at the rear of my jeep.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 06:23 AM

there's a few places that you can check for body parts....This is off the top of my head, so I know there's more out there.

1. Quadratec
2. 4wdHardware
3. JCwhitney
4. AJ's Sales
5. E-bay (Lot's of Fenders on there usually)

Hope this helps a bit....I'm gonna be getting a new Fiberglass Tub this winter and I'm thinking of going with the 4wdHardware one! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 07:59 AM
Addict

First, request you fill out your profile, it'll help w/questions. Where are you at? As for the front tire. How do you know it is not engaging? Be aware that w/an open diff both tires do not spin all the time, especially if one has more traction than the other. Electrical gremlins are the worst. As mentioned, check fuses (easy) than grounds (harder). A good voltmeter is useful or at least a circuit tester. Get a repair manual (Chilton's, Haynes) as these will be invaluable for an older Jeep. Better still would be to get a Factory Service Manual (FSM). Repro's can be found relatively inexpensively. Oh and if you are in/near MD I have fenders and maybe a rear corner in my spare parts/for sale pile. Let me know and good luck.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 11:48 AM

the front left you say? are you sure that your differential isnt just working perfectly? they wont grab at the same time unless you have a locker you know.
heres some more parts places...

www.thinkjeep.com
www.tellico4x4.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 12:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Post some pics...you can find alot of body parts online... for cheap.. try the classifieds here, or some other forums.
Southern Jeeps , Tenn 4X4 , They both normally have alot of junk...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 10:34 PM

Generally electrical problems in jeeps are ground problems.. The best link I have found about figuring out any guage problems (specifically fuel) is from Jaffer's web site (Thanks Jaffer)... I personally have never found electrical problems easy, but if you have time, a whole lot of cold one's, and this site, you can fix almost anything..

Welcome, and good luck!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 09:03 AM

I too just purchased my first CJ-7. Took it out this weekend to the Mounds in Flint, MI and it was awesome. There was more mud on the Jeep than in the mud hole! Two days later and I'm still cleaning it.

Anyway, I too noticed that my factory fuel gage is not working - it just reads 'E'. From the sounds of the replies, it must be a ground. Just to make my job quicker, should I look for the ground by the fuel tank or behind the dash?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 09:17 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Check to make sure your ground wire coming from the fuel sender which is located on top of the gastank is well connected to the frame. If so you should find a connector plug on the incoming wire. Short the incoming wire to the frame. Your gauge reading should move to full. If it does the problem is toward the sender. If it does not the problen is toward the guage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode