4-Wheel drive indicator on dash stays on...? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 09:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

4-Wheel drive indicator on dash stays on...?

Hi-
I have a '92 Jeep Wrangler, and am having problems with the four-wheel drive indicator on the dash board <font color="black"> </font color> will not turn off when in two-wheel drive. Could this be the shift-motor on the front axel malfunctioning, the switch on the transmission, or something else?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 09:24 PM

Re: 4-Wheel drive indicator on dash stays on...?

I'm not sure what engages it but my guess wouild be the shift motor, because on my YJ the light stays on once i'm out of 4wd, but once I move and the shift motor disconnects the front axle it turns off.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 12:23 AM

Is it actually going into two wheel drive? If it is, it sounds simply like a switch problem. If it's staying in 4wd even though you are putting it in 2wd, it could be the shift motor.

I had/have a similar problem in my '95 Ford Ranger. When it is REALLY cold (-30 or so) or when it's right around freezing and we have a freeze/thaw/freeze cycle going on (usually in the spring) the 4wd light will come on dim in 2wd, and the 4wd LOW light comes on dim in 4wd hi. The problem was the switch on the T-case. Changed it out, and two years later it started giving problems again. However, in my case it really couldn't be much else since its a manual transfercase and manual hubs--no shift motor to worry about.

Gut feeling tells me it's a indicator switch, but check and see if it REALLY is going into 2wd or not.

Let us know what you find out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 06:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi,
Thanks for your suggestion, but my Jeep is a manual transmission and has automatic locking hubs- do you think that I will have to replace the shift motor?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 02:48 AM

The question remains though, is it REALLY going out of 4wd or not? Get in some loose stuff....sand, gravel, etc....and put it in 2wd and even though the indicator is showing 4wd walk on it. If just the back spins it's probably just an indicator switch. If you hook up in 4wd you know the shift motor isn't kicking you back out. If it isn't, start by checking connections. If they are all good, use a voltmeter to check the motor. If it's getting juice the way the manual says when you shift, than I'd guess you would have to change the motor. HOWEVER, I want to state that without looking at it I can't say what needs to be done--I'm simply guessing from several thousand miles away. If in serious doubt, you may want to take it to a dealer to check out. They often know the problem or can diagnose it faster than you can. Lord knows that's true on my '95, but not on my '74!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 12:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I also have a 92 YJ and had the same problem. When I went to install my PosiLock I discovered the diaphragm in the vacuum unit on the axle had imploded/exploded/warped etc in such a way to force the axle to be engaged all the time.

The switch for the dash light is on the axle unit and unless the switch or some wiring in between is bad you are probably engaged as well.

I think if you jack up the pass front tire and if the driveshaft spins when you spin the wheel you have a defective unit.

The posilock is cheap and easy to install. No more worries about the vacuum unit.

Milt
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 05:49 PM
Veteran

I think it's a sticking indicator light bulb, you should have it replaced. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Seriously, it is most likely the shift motor, the diaphram in there is getting old and probably cracked, or it's the 4wd switch...or the vac lines.

Here is how to check for proper operation. When you're in 4wd if you jack up the front on one side you shouldn't be able to turn the wheel since the tcase is locked. Check for vacuum at the shift motor ends of the vac hoses. The vac should switch as you switch the tcase lever.

If there is no vac then there is a leak in the hoses. Get new vac harness.

If there is vac but it doesn't switch then the 4wd vac switch is bad. This is screwed into the tcase near the top where you see the vac lines attach. New one is around $15.

If you have vac and it switches properly than it is the shift motor for sure. Should be able to get one from most part stores for about $30 or from the dealer for the discounted price of $60 but only if you bend over.

Hope this helps. Love your vac and it'll love you back. And you won't break any hubs. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode