Hard Top of CJ vs 1st model wrangler - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 05:36 PM
mangu43

Hard Top of CJ vs 1st model wrangler

I bought my 77 with a hard top that kind of fit. I believe it is aftermarket. Is there any way to tell what type of top will fit different years of cj and wrangler. I know that the cj-7 and wrangler are the same in dimensions, so the top will sit on both models, but how does the tailgate situation work, since the cj is like a truck bed, and the wrangler is like a door? Also, how do the differences matter in the bolt on? thanks, any appreciation helped!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 05:29 AM

Re: Hard Top of CJ vs 1st model wrangler

A CJs top has a 'T' handle in the middle of the lift door and seals down on the outside of either tub's tail gate.
A YJs top has no latch and seals down when either type of tail gate is closed on it's lit to seal it.
You have to latch a CJ tub YJ top combo from the inside.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 06:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Some YJ tops do have a latch on the back. I just picked up an 87 YJ w/hard top and it has the handle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 12:36 PM
asau

<font color="green"> </font color>
ummm... i bought a 93 renegade hardtop that has the "t" handle in the back [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 07:04 PM

Most YJs have the T-handle, I've never seen one without it. THe difference with the YJ top is that the door needs to be opened to turn the handle. The CJ top seals over the door, while the YJ door fits into a recess in the hatch.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 07:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It is my understanding that the CJ7 &amp; YJ hard tops will interchang but that the strike location on the door needs to be adjusted. Could be wrong on the strike thing.

Kriss
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 05:54 PM

I've got a CJ top and doors on my YJ. The doors have the older style bar handles, not the paddle type. I had to take the strikers of the body but they fit perfect as long as the top is on. The top keeps them sealed tight, take the top off and the doors rattle.
As for the rear, since I still have my spare on the tailgate, I have to unlatch the window, then open the gate and the window at the same time. If the tire wasn't there, I'd have to open the window first, then swing the gate out, since the window closes over the tailgate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode