Please Help Identification of loose Wires on 89 YJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Please Help Identification of loose Wires on 89 YJ

Hi everyone. I purchased an 89 YJ about 6 months ago, and have had the fortune of not really having very many problems with it, aside from the OP gauge and the Fuel Gauge being flakey/not working. As of right now my oil pressure gauge, while the engine is running, is pegged all the way MAX. Anyways. Here's what I need help with. Look at these pics, and someone please tell me where these loose connectors/wires go. They've been this way since I purchased the car, and I would love to get them back where they're supposed to be.

Left side of engine compartment: (does this just go on the + terminal of the battery? there are two inline fuses so I'm pretty much positive it's not a ground wire.)

also the left side of the engine compartment, near the firewall. a small red connector:

lastly, right side of engine compartment, near carb and decellarator valve:

I would SERIOUSLY appreciate some help with this. I can't find any of those connectors on any of the wiring diagrams I have access to . Thanks a million.... [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

89 YJ 4.2 258 2bbl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 05:56 PM
Old Hand

Re: Please Help Identification of loose Wires on 89 YJ

Well first things first your <font color="blue">JEEP </font color>! is not a <font color="red">CAR! </font color>! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
IMHO...The first pic looks like they belong to some aftermarket gizmo you'll need to track down to see what they are for before hooking them up. They could be just hanging bare ended under the dash. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
The last 2 pics look to me like they belong to some factory option (like AC) your Jeep didn't come with or was taken out. You can look around and see if there is anything that those wires will reach and hook up to that is missing a connector if you want but I dought there is any. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
BTW Welcome to the board. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

touche, donnie! sorry about the slip-up. I'm still getting used to it :-)

pablo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 06:06 PM

Re: Please Help Identification of loose Wires on 8

Sorry, I can't offer much on the wiring, but I would suggest not referring to your Jeep as a "car". Most people here are quite sensitive about Jeeps being Jeeps. "Car" is kind of a bad word here.

[img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 06:14 PM
Old Hand

Sorry Pablo, I didn't mean to sound harsh. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
If I hadn't said it somebody else would have [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 08:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Pic 1-- check if the double wire is not the one that serves as a ground to the MCU . If so , it originates in MCU wire harness terminals 20 and 60 . It would come out of the bundle of wires from the firewall above the gas pedal . Your wires are not the OEM black color . OEM did not have a fuse . Perhaps an aftermarket item . Access to the MCU wire harness for continuity check is behind glove box.

Pic 2 -the red wire connector delivers 12v juice to the lamp switch in the hood.

Pic 3 - the tan and grey wires deliver 12 v to the manufacturer's recalled PCV solenoid . This connector still carries 12v when ignition is on and you may find it safe to seal it in a protective sheath.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode